.338 wm temp stability powders

RevJim

Ok I'm asking about what YOU guys use in your 338WM for hunting in, say, zero to 90 deg. Did you have any issues when it got warm and did you lose a lot of speed (affected your zero) at colder temps? I see lots of folks use what I call the Old Regulars, i.e. IMRs, Hodgdons, Reloder 22 ( and R19) What do you use please? thanks.

Last edited:
I just shot some 225 tsx the other day, 20 degrees. I looked in my records and found this. R-19 ww cases 215 primers.

70* 2825 fps
45* 2810
20* 2736

POI did not change.

I am sure you are right. The last two critters with it were 85 and 35 yards.

Ok I'm asking about what YOU guys use in your 338WM for hunting in, say, zero to 90 deg. Did you have any issues when it got warm and did you lose a lot of speed (affected your zero) at colder temps? I see lots of folks use what I call the Old Regulars, i.e. IMRs, Hodgdons, Reloder 22 ( and R19) What do you use please? thanks.

There are several new powders out that are stabilized for temp, they are also designed to work better with the new solid bullets. Slows down the fouling of the barrel. You have to begin all over to develop the right load for your rifle, there is no magic recipe.

I had been using H4350 but the last 3 years have been using H4895 with good success .Doesn't quite fill the case but velocity has been good and you can always back down to 60% of Max if you want a lighter kicking load for white tail etc .

Shooting 200 and 225gr bullets

I use H4350, either the 225gr. or 200gr. Nosler AB's. Have shot in different temps, from 95 down to 22 degrees only noticed a 12fps difference. I know IMR has some new temp insensitive powders in they're Enduron line, might be worth looking into.

The Rl powders like Rl19 give some good high velocity. But it's not really temp stable.
H4831 and H4350 give the classic velocity of 2780 fps with a 225 gr bullet. Which while not anything to stop the presses over. With modern bullets is a very good velocity to get the work done that the 338 Win is known for. I'm looking forward to working up a good load for the 225s and 250 gr in my Kimber next winter.
It's kindof hard to beat the 338 for an Alaskan hunting rifle. Or for other big game. I found that it was the by far most popular cartridge for bison hunting and is one of the most popular moose carts up here.
One thing I very much like about it is it doesn't blood shock deer like many smaller rounds.
I used 225 gr bullets for deer more than any other single weight. But also used the 200 gr X bullet @ over 2900 fps . Used the 275 gr @ just over 2600 and the 300 gr Barnes Original RNSP @ as close to 2500 fps as I could get them.
My favorite was the 300 gr as it was extremely accurate in my rifles and if I bumped into a brown bear I wasn't concerned with having too light a bullet.

H4350 or H1000

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.