338 Win Mag reloading dies

I'm frugal, so I mostly use Lee dies. They ain't purdy, but they work for me. It's not the tool...

Attachments

• s-l300.gif
    s-l300.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231201_091857.jpg
    20231201_091857.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 33
I had 5 338WM rifles at one time, I had a mix of RCBS FL, NECK & Seater dies, comp dies and a couple sets of Deluxe Redding 3 die sets and Redding micrometer seater dies. The Redding dies averaged .001" less runout than either of the standard RCBS seater and comp seater, so either are of quality. I had them all neck honed when I was going that route with all of my dies to match my Forster dies, and it worked superbly on all.

Cheers.

I had 5 338WM rifles at one time, I had a mix of RCBS FL, NECK & Seater dies, comp dies and a couple sets of Deluxe Redding 3 die sets and Redding micrometer seater dies. The Redding dies averaged .001" less runout than either of the standard RCBS seater and comp seater, so either are of quality. I had them all neck honed when I was going that route with all of my dies to match my Forster dies, and it worked superbly on all.

Cheers.
Great information, thank you.

I've been loading for the 338 WM since 1993. I have used RCBS full length sizing dies, Lee collet dies, Forster full length sizing dies and Redding Bushing dies with Short Action Customs (SAC) bushings and Sinclair expander mandrels.

All make good ammo but my preference is the Redding bushing dies with SAC bushings and Sinclair expander mandrel. My second choice would be the Forster full length sizing dies. I like how their expander ball is located up near the neck of the case rather than near the bottom.

I tested case neck runout using Norma brass with the RCBS, Forster and Redding dies and the Redding dies with SAC bushings and Sinclair expander mandrel produced the most concentric cases. Forster would be a close second.

The SAC bushings really surprised me. They claim the bushings are tapered at the bottom to prevent the case necks from developing runnout and in my testing they really produced straight cases. I now use them for all the rifle cartridges I load except 30-30 Winchester.

For 338 WM bullet seating, I prefer the Forster micrometer adjustable seating die. It works really well.

I've been loading for the 338 WM since 1993. I have used RCBS full length sizing dies, Lee collet dies, Forster full length sizing dies and Redding Bushing dies with Short Action Customs (SAC) bushings and Sinclair expander mandrels.

All make good ammo but my preference is the Redding bushing dies with SAC bushings and Sinclair expander mandrel. My second choice would be the Forster full length sizing dies. I like how their expander ball is located up near the neck of the case rather than near the bottom.

I tested case neck runout using Norma brass with the RCBS, Forster and Redding dies and the Redding dies with SAC bushings and Sinclair expander mandrel produced the most concentric cases. Forster would be a close second.

The SAC bushings really surprised me. They claim the bushings are tapered at the bottom to prevent the case necks from developing runnout and in my testing they really produced straight cases. I now use them for all the rifle cartridges I load except 30-30 Winchester.

For 338 WM bullet seating, I prefer the Forster micrometer adjustable seating die. It works really well.
Oh yes, the SAC bushings are very nice. Thank you.

I like Redding dies. The premium die set is good because I like the micro stem on the seater, I think they about about $160 for the set on midway. The master hunter set is also good. The seater is a little higher quality than the premium set

I have10 different sets of dies, mostly RCBS for my rifles and handguns. I have one set of Hornady dies and they are for my .340 Weatherby. I really like them, and would buy more Hornady if I need dies in the future. The expander ball is elliptical in shape which makes it really easy to remove it from the resized case in the resizing process. The seating die has a floating bullet alignment sleeve that positions the bullet and keeps it straight during the seating process. They are well designed and seem to be high quality.

Last edited: