338 Ultra Mag vs 340 Weatherby

How do you think that 200g Btip would be for deer and coyotes out to 800 yards? Thats a good 250fps over a 300 RUM, the BC is lower, but still, lethal combo in my eyes for deer. Probly be a barrel burner though for sure.

Dave,
You are correct, my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I guess I should have just said you cannot buy factory brass......that I know of anyway.

I disagree with the cliche I really think it comes down to personal preference. as you can drop that excuse on any irrational decision. The Wby is obsolete technology. An economist would do a CBA (cost bennie analysis). What do they each cost (including the 338 edge)? You need to add in a trigger job and muzzle brake. With the Wby/Harley/Tubed amplifier you can probably get a guarantee of 1 MOA. With the Rem 700 you will probably get 1 MOA or better but may end up with a lemon (what is your risk tolerance?)

I love my APS 338 RUM (with #8 - 30" Lilja pipe, trigger job and QD brake). It's a real tac driver but cost more than a off the shelf RUM.

BTW, I am a tubed amp, Harley, Wby and liberal basher (full disclosure).

For close range they are outstanding I would want a heavier bullet with a better BC for 800 yds.Not to say it would be impossible amazingly enough the 200 gr bullets aren't too tough on my barrel... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Big Bore,
I'll happily disagree with you on the Wby being obsolete vs. the .338 RUM. Brass is better quality. The best Factory rifles are a toss up. Accumark vs Sendero. I'm partial to the Accumark cause I owned one but thats just me.

[ QUOTE ]
Big Bore,
I'll happily disagree with you on the Wby being obsolete vs. the .338 RUM. Brass is better quality. The best Factory rifles are a toss up. Accumark vs Sendero. I'm partial to the Accumark cause I owned one but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to admit that my 338 Win mag (with the so called obsolete belted case) shoots great. I hear the 300 Win Mag is also accurate. But don't all the factory Wby's have ginormous free bore? How can belted cartridges be so accurate? - it flys in the face of case theory.

I'll also admit to being biased against Wby. The rich dude at my range where I dominated Offhand silhouette had the most obnoxiously loud 300 Wby Mag and a personality to go with it. He rarely knocked the pig over. (probably not the guns fault)

We should all thank Roy for popularizing high velocity cartridges. If not for roy, this might be the 30-30 iron sights forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah,
I have to say that belted magnums are pretty **** accurate, anyone who says there not is full of scat. I have seen belted shoot better than unbelted and the other way around. It all depends on how you evolve with your rifle. I like to say that you become one with your rifle. If you get inside her thoughts you can make her better. Anyway, I think that if you couldn't afford a 338 edge I would go with the 338 ultra. If I owned a 340 weatherby that shot good, I would stick with that.
Brandon

There has been more forgotten about the belted magnums than any one knows about the ultra mag case. That belt has caused more discussion over the years than it is worth. I have never seen the belt cause an issue in any way and can not see how it could hurt accuracy. I have nothing against the ultra mags, in fact I am having a 338 weaver built (almost same as the 338 edge). It all comes down to the rifle and the shooter. Practice, confidence and a well built rifle that fits the shooter is what makes it all happen. I often wonder if to much time and money are spent on something "different". Maybe if we spent all that time and money at the range we would not have to waste time on something different.

[ QUOTE ]
We should all thank Roy for popularizing high velocity cartridges. If not for roy, this might be the 30-30 iron sights forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that.

Big Bore,
We wouldn't gun nuts if we didn't have our biases right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am clearly biased towards the wby's because all the rifles I've handled have shot better than anything I had previously..

But to add to this. I will be adding a few of Kirby's works of art as well. Specifically a .270AM, 7mm AM and a .338AM and I wish I could order them all now.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For those with either 338 RUM or 340 WBY on the Rem 700 action: what twist rate and tube length are you using?
Thanks
TX COWDOC

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.