338 ultra load development

What was asking is what the Max length of the case before you trim.I know what the trim to (minimum ) is.

Do you trim them after each firing? My other calibers I don't trim after every firing , because I could usually find a Max case length. I can't find it for the 338 rum.

still fighting with this gun. i took it elk hunting and for 2 weeks it rode in a truck 3200 miles and for 10 days on the side of a horse. i shot it sunday just to check zero. first shot at 200 yards dead on, right where i left it. should have left it at that. next shot was 3" high and 3" left. next shot was 3.5" high and 2" left.

i will shoot it again this weekend. i guess it is possible that the first shot, cold bore will always hit the same? then after that the barrel heats up and impact point changes?

i will have this gun checked and gone over after our deer season here in PA. i am tired of this and wasting money.

for anybody paying attention. my post #17 of this thread shows pretty close to what it did sunday. i gorilla glued the scope lock ring so i wouldn't have the same problem as before.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.