Ultra Quick load development procedure

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I get this question ALL THE TIME, "How do you do load development and set up customer rifles in such few rounds?" some are genuinely interested, others are questioning its possible and others are flat out calling me out basically saying I am not being honest. I have been called a liar more then once in the past 18 years of pushing the performance and ballistic envelop. However, every piece of data I report on is backed by actual test results so if you read something i typed, its taken right off the actual data for each rifle.

So, the purpose of this post is to explain exactly my process of doing load development, accuracy testing and even in this case setting up one of my Turn Key rifles. The rifle i will be talking about is one of my Raptor LRSS chambered in my 338 Allen Xpress wildcat. For the time being, that will be all the details on the rifle as I will make a post detailing this rifle soon as it is a rather unique rifle.

IMG_0882.JPG

Anyway, I want to start this by saying, I built BIG GAME HUNTING RIFLES. That is not to say they do not shoot well enough to be comp rifles or that I do not build comp rifles, however, the vast majority of my rifles are designed from the ground up to be big game hunting rifle for use at ranges from 0 to 1000 yards and even beyond. So, for those comp shooters that read this and likely be ready to cut down the process as soon as possible, keep that in mind.

For those that swear by ladder testing, so be it. I did ladder tests all the time years ago but proved to myself that from day to day, it was impossible to get repeatable results with a ladder test so I look for a good ALL AROUND load that will work every day of the year for taking big game efficently and effectively from 0 to 1000 yards.

So, lets start. First step after the rifle is built is to do load development. In the case of this rifle, I looked up in my log book for a reference of loads similar to this rifle being tested. As its a repeater we are limited by magazine length. The bullet tested was the 300 gr berger and barrel length is 30". So I look up these loads in my log book.

My log book contains every accuracy test load for every rifle I have built over the years and includes chambering, bullet, powder, powder charge, primer, OAL, date, number of rounds loaded, customer name, average velocity and length of barrel.

With a Raptor LRSS like this, i set the throats up to seat the 300 gr berger within 10 thou of the lands with an OAL of 3.750" which gives us around 25 thou clearance in the mag to make sure there is no binding. I also like to use Ramshot Magnum powder as it allows me to get more grains of powder in the case with these shorter OAL in the repeating rifles. Looking up the data I see that most of my rifles have topped out in the 103.0 to 104.0 gr range with an average velocity ranging form 3050 to 3090 fps depending on the specific barrel.

For this test I start at 101.0 gr and will work up from there. This is where a vast amount of experience with these rifles and chamberings certainly cuts down in time. I will load one round at each load, increasing 1 grain at a time and shooting each load over the chrono and recording the velocity. I will increase until I see excessive ejector ring mark on the case head of just start to feel an increase in bolt lift effort.

Here are the results from this specific rifle:

101.0 gr...........2998 fps
102.0 gr...........3035 fps
103.0 gr...........3068 fps
104.0 gr...........3099 fps slight ejector ring on case head.

So, have four shots down the barrel and have already learned alot about the rifle. First thing, velocity jumps are extremely consistent which tells me this is a very good match for the rifle. Good consistent powder ignition, good powder burn and that we are not on the fringes of excessive pressure as we are not see the larger velocity jumps at the top end of the testing. If I would see a 20 fps jump one time and then a 60 fps jump the next, I would likely stop and try a different powder. From past experience i know that the 104.0 gr load will offer 4-5 firings per case before any gas leakage. I choose the 103.0 gr load because I know it will offer 8-10 firings per case which is my requirement. I know this because I have actually tested this many times in the past and know it for fact. Again, experience does save some time for sure.

So with 4 rounds down the barrel, I have my test load. Next step is to load up a batch of test ammo. In this case, I load up 25 rounds as I will be setting up this rifle as a TURN KEY rifle. More on that later.

Next step, head up to the range. Load up and head out this morning, perfect conditions, no wind at all to start with which is critical for setting up a turn key rifle. Set up at a measured 1047 yards on a target of opportunity. That being a small, 1/4 moa sized white rock laying on the bare dirt hill side. This allows me to clearly see impacts.

Bore sight the rifle and take my first range shot. Impact lands roughly 4 moa low. I set the rifle up so the reticle is solid on the target rock and then turn the vertical turret till the reticle moves and is centered on the impact location. Then take a second shot. This shot lands roughly 3/4 moa low of center of the rock. Make a final 3/4 moa adjustment on the scope and the third shot dusts the rock.

So now, 7 shots down the barrel and I know velocity and zeroed at 1047 yards. Let the rifle barrel fully cool and take three shots to check grouping potential. This is done at same range but on a larger rock, this one around 1 moa in size so it can survive the impacts.

First shot is centered perfectly horizontal and half way between the center and bottom edge of the target rock. Second shot is perfectly centered height wise and lands halfway between center and the left edge of the rock. Final shot dead centers the rock and actually cracks it in half. With some rifles I will shoot additional three shot groups if I see something I do not like or if conditions are not ideal or if I am not bringing my A game which I am usually the weak link testing these rifles!!!

10 shots total down the barrel and I have a proven load, know the rifle is capable of 1/2 moa accuracy potential and is zero at 1047 yards......

Most often, the rifle would be taken back to the shop, packed up and shipped, however, this is a TURN KEY rifle which means I need to develope the drop chart and validate the chart with the rifles actual trajectory. That way, when the rifle arrives at the owners, all he has to do is unpack it and he is pretty much ready to roll other then possibly some minor tweaking for his specific location. So while the rifle is cooling, I load the critical numbers and data into my ballistic program and come up with a drop chart. I decided to set this rifle up with a 250 yard zero as this will allow 0 to 400 yard quick shots at big game without aiming off hair. Again, these are big game rifles.

Looking at the drop chart, it says the dial up would be 18.25 moa for a 1047 yard zero. I turn the vertical turret down 18.25 moa, pull the turret and set the zero stop and then reinstall the turret cap to zero.

Now its time to validate the drop chart. I test at four different ranges using a Practical Field Shooting Technique. Basically I will find a small target of opportunity, usually less then 1/2 moa in size measured off the scope reticle. Range it, look up the dial up, set up rifle, take a shot and record impact location.

To start this rifle I find a very small 1/4 target rock at 398 yards. Drop charts says 2.75 moa. Dial up scope, level rifle, set parallax and take shot. Dusts the small target. Return the scope to zero.

Let the rifle cool for 10 minutes. Then find another target roughly 1/2 moa in size at 648 yards. Drop chart says 8.0 moa, dial up scope, level rifle, set parallax and take shot. This shot lands center, bottom half of rock, cracks her in half. Return the scope to zero.

Let rifle cool 10 more minutes. Find another 1/2 moa sized target rock at 894 yards. Dial up is 13.0 moa. level rifle, set parallax and take shot. This shot is perfect height wise but impacts 3/4 to 1 moa to the right of center. Notice impact cloud drifting to the right, wind got me as I now pay attention and feel the slight breeze on my left cheek.... Give the scope 3/4 moa to the left and take a follow up and this one centers the rock. Return the scope to zero.

Give the rifle another 10 minutes to cool and find my last target at 1085 yards. This one is a larger 1 moa sized target rock. Dial up is 19.25 moa, level rifle , set parallax and this time i give it 1 moa left for windage. First shot, lands in the bottom right corner of the target rock. Take a quick followup with same hold and impacts just left of center , perfect height. return scope to zero.

So now, 16 rounds down the bore, know the velocity, know the rifle shoots 1/2 moa, know the rifle is dead on at 398, 648, 894 and 1085 yards, drop chart validated, Ready to ship!!!

Now, not all of them are like this but usually I get rifles accuracy tested in 15 or less rounds and TURN KEY rifles finished in 30 rounds max. Definition of KISS theory and it works. Now I admit I have A LOT of experience with these wildcats. Know them like the back of my hand, as I do the rifles also and they are all build using world class parts and put together as perfectly as I can humanly do it. So much less variables then if someone is trying to set up a factory rifle.

System works and works well and has for well over a decade, with well over 1000 fully satisfied customers with rifles exceeding their expectations and goals!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.