.338 throat?

sdeering

I am about to chamber my first 338edge.
The reamer I have has too short of a throat I'm thinking for the 300SMKs, which I would like to shoot. I have a throating reamer on the way. If I throat it for the 300 SMK how well have these shot the shorter hunting bullets? What bullets have you guys been using for elk, deer?

Hears the print of the reamer I have. It looks like the throat will have to be .100" longer thereabouts, so I can keep the SMK out of the doughnut.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen

338_Edge_Reamer_Print2.jpg

my coal with the bullet touching is 3.900"(300smk)
i run them around 3.700 for mag clearance.
i load my 250 NAB to fit the mag and i believe they will shoot sub .5 (with the right nut behind the trigger)at 200M,,my best is in the 9`s.
this is as far as i have taken the NAB...i dont know if they will hold moa out further with a 9.4 twist.

Stephen

My reamer print was made off a dummy round with a 300 SMK that measured 3.950 from case head to tip of the bullet. This placed the bullet boat tail/bearing surface junction just north of the case shoulder/neck junction.

My print shows a "lead" dimension of 3.129 (vs 3.020 on yours) and a "throat" dimension of 3.386 (vs 3.277).

All other dimensions between our two prints are identical, except my neck diameter is an even .371.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.