.338 RUM Project

skip AI

I am going to build a .338 RUM, I want it to be light enough to go deer stalking with but still have the capability to take shots out to 500m+.
What I need to know is what action is best to use, what barrel twist, lenght, brake ect. Also a stock aswell.
I would like to have the barrel at 26" with brake, would this compramise in accuracy/velocity?
I want to fire 225 AB's at 3100-3300fps.
I will most probably need a remington action?
What kind of recoil will I be looking at with a decent brake installed?

cheers

lawton reciever.

go with a 28" tube. not sure about twist

kirby, shawn, and some other guys on here all make great brakes, also holland brakes are good.

mcmillan stock, but there are a lot of other good stocks out there.

recoil will not be bad at all, those brakes are awsome!

good luck, and I'm sure others with a lot more expertise than I will tune in soon.

Howdy Skip AI,

Are "you" building the rifle or is someone building for you to your specs?

I did mine myself (no gunsmith metal working skills) except for fitting the barrel. The action is a donor action which started life as a 338 Win Mag. The new barrel is a Remington sporter take off barrel 26 inches long plus the Holland QD brake.

The action is now a single shot and the BDL stock modified into an ADL configuration.

When it was a Win Mag it I weighted it to about 12 pounds which made it manageable for me but I still wouldn't shoot it prone. I was a bit fearful for my itty bitty clavical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I then had the Holland QD fitted, which gave enough confidence that I removed the added weight. The recoil pad is a Limbsaver which really pleases me. I now shoot the rifle almost exclusively from the prone position with 300gr bullets at 2700+ MV and it is even quite fun. I really enjoy the rifle.

I'm thinking that the 338 RUM is a bit large for deer sized game as my feelings are with heavier bullets in the caliber. My thinking is that if a 225gr bullet is to be shot in a 338 RUM a 240gr bullet in a 300 RUM would give much better down range performance. I shot no lighter than the 250s in the Win Mag.

My 338 RUM wouldn't shoot the 225s or 250s with great accuracy and velocity was 100+ FPS slower than anyone else's rifles. For wome reason it would shoot the 250s at higher velocities than the 225s. I figured it that was the case a heavier bullet would be better. The rifle came together with a case full of US 869, 300 SMKs @ 2730 MV and minimal SDs and ESs.

An important consideration would be the scope. The 338 RUM with any bullet shoots rainbow trajectories. You'll need lots of clicks. I tried the holdover thing with a Mil Dot scope but 14 inches high @ 200 to keep the point of impact less than 5 mils down was a bit much. The scope I have on it has 1/8th MOA clicks which doubles the number of clicks over a 0.25 MOA click which is also hard to live with.

I'd recommend going with a 338/300 RUM (Edge) to ensure the velocity performance you desire w/the 225 gr bullet with reasonable pressures and case life.

I seem to remember that Shawn's first edge had a shorter barrel, possibly 26 1/2 inches or so. Also I think the Edge was designed for the 300gr bullet.

Thinking that 500+m shooting would not be from the standing position I'd consider keeping the weight off of the stock and on the barrel. (super light stock and as heavy a barrel as practical, keeping the total weight between 10.5 and 12 pounds depending on your desire.

My RUM weights 10.5 LBS and is great on the bipod but as the terrain gets more uneven things get more unstable. With my very barrel heavy 270 AM under conditions that limit the RUM to maybe 400 yds the AM is shootable to twice that far or more. This is mostly due to the long heavy barrel and stability of 12 Lbs over the lighter carry gun.

Regarding the brake. No holes in the bottom or you'll be eating whatever kind of soil you're laying on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope this rambling helps...

Great info Roy, thanks for that.
I thought that the .338 RUM used the same case as the .300 RUM?
Im thinking of buying a Remington Rifle and just putting on a new barrel and brake + possibly a lighter stock if needed.
How did the Remington barrel shoot Roy?
I want it to shoot atleast .5 at 100m.
I will take a fair few shots free standing, but for the more difficult shots I will go prone if possible.

Lol, I shot my .25-06 AI prone in a freshly burnt paddock (field) once, never againg I tell you!
What brake do you reccomend?

So the EDGE is a .300 RUM necked up to .338 and AI'ed?

Thanks for the info and keep it coming!
cheers

Skip AI,

The Edge is just the 300 RUM necked up to 338 with no other changes. Shawn changed the name so there was much less chance that someone would see the 338-300 RUM and mistakenly chamber a 338 RUM and shoot it, bad things would happen with the 90 thou shorter shoulder location of the factory 338 RUM.

I would get either a Lawton M7000 receiver or use a trued Rem 700. The Lawton will be a few ounces more in weight but its a much stronger receiver as well and is ready to build on out of the box.

Barrel wise, I would look at something like a 1-10 twist #4 Lilja. With a 338 bore through it this would not be an overly heavy barrel. You could drop to a #3 but I personally would prefer a #4.

The 338 cal is very efficent and will get most of its velocity potential in a 25" class barrel easily.

Stock wise, personally I would look at either an H-S sporter or a McMillan sporter stock. Manner also makes a very nice lightweight stock depending on how light you really want the rifle to be.

If you will only use up to a 225 gr bullet, the 1-12 twist will probably be all you would need but it never fails that somewhere down the road you will want or need a heavier bullet and the 1-10 will handle anything up to 300 gr so that is what I would recommend. It also shoot the light weight bullets very accurately as well so you will not give up anything in accuracy.

If your only looking to shoot out to 500 yards, there would be no problem at all getting a light weight rifle to easily hold moa out to that range and generally much less then that. Just depends on how light you want to go.

As far a brake, go with a Defensive Edge or Holland. Best big game brakes I have ever used and unless I use one of my own designs, I always use Defensive Edge brakes now.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]

How did the Remington barrel shoot Roy? After getting the barrel fitted, the very first thing I did was a Tubb's Final Finish process as prescribed by Tubb's.

I want it to shoot atleast .5 at 100m. 225s and 250s shoot about twice your .5 spec, 300 SMKs shots well under it. Average for just a few 200 yd groups is about 0.7" @ 200. It just happens that the RUM take off barrel came from Kirby. Everything that comes out of his shop shoots well if treated appropriately

What brake do you reccomend? See Kirby's above post he is spot on.

So the EDGE is a .300 RUM necked up to .338 and AI'ed? Not AI'd. See Kirby's above post.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming!
cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything to help

How much is a Lawton Action worth?
Kirby, Any Idea how much it would cost for you to make it and ship it over or would I be better off ordering a barrel and brake and getting a smith here to put it together for me?
Probably to many issue's with customs and such?
This project wont start until April next year so Im just getting my facts and components right before jumping in the deep end.

Thanks for the info so far Fellas, keep it up!

cheers

Yeah fair enough, Would you consider getting a barrel and fitting the brake for me?
Then send it over and I could have it fitted by a smith here.

Keep in mind im still undecided at the moment so no comitment is required, the build wont start until mid April next year anyway.

Any Idea on how much I would be looking at for a barrel and brake fitted by you kirby (to you specifications of course)?

Anyone got any ideas on shipping?

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.