.338 RUM Project On a Budget?

DOUGD

Have you considered just buying a remington in 338 RUM
and seeing how well it shoots then if you are not happy
all you have to do is have a custom barrel installed.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

DougD,

Here's what I did.

I purchased a used Rem 700 BDL LH in 338 Win Mag w/a Leuy 3 X 9 VX-II for $495.00 with the intent of using it as a donor action for a custom 338 something.

Timing was such that I ordered a custom rifle on another action that I had which precluded any great expence on the REM LH Action. As a 338 WM it shot especially well but it wasn't sexy like a 338 RUM.

I bought a REM sporter 338 RUM new take off barrel for something like $40 had it fitted by a local smith with a Tubbs lug and Holland brake installed all for about $235.00 not including the Holland Brake as it came off of the WinMag barrel but cost me $160.00 to have it installed on the win mag.

I greately modified the BDL stock, using resin/devcon/jbweld. Turned it into a single shot configuration. $25.00 for the mag plate insert.

Pillar and skim bedded it myself.

This project was fun and kept me busy until the custom rifle arrived. It turns out to be a pretty fair shooting personalized factory rifle. Shoots a 250gr bullet at just over 3000 FPS accurately for 8 or 900 yd shooting with potential for more. Have shot the 250s close to 3100 but don't think its needed.

I'd recommend a barrel heavier than a sporter weight and the little one heats up pretty fast. The first two shots don't do much but the third one seems to heat as much as the first two. And I have no patience.......

Also as you can swap barrels without having to go to a smith w/the savages I'd be very careful and get some go/no go gages.

If I were you I'd do my homework and have at it.

Actually, i had thought about doing this. You're probably right about this too. I do love the Remington 700 platform but I just wasn't sure if this would be the most cost effective way to go in the end. I have dumped a lot of money into two other Remington 700 projects in the past so I know how fast that stuff can add up. Your suggestion is sound though. Thank you for the advice.

DougD

is magazine feeding needed? if this is a shigle shot project, any savage mag action will work. My RUM based cartridge will be built on a std 112savage. Starting with a stevens 200, (same as the preaccutrigger savage 110, and 112) this project could be very, very economical.

if savage doesn't make a 338rum then the rem will be the cheapest way to go. do like Roy and find a 338rum barrel that's just sitting in a smith's shop.gotta be 100 of em around the country that could be had for 40 or less.brake and recoil lug are optional. a real man doesn't need a brake...i have brakes on all my guns!

I got a really good deal on a used 300 RUM by savage. Kirby put a 30" #8 Lilja pipe on it, new stock, trigger job, Holland QD brake (yes, real men don't need a brake), scope base hole #8x40. It's a real shooter, I love that gun. With my newly acquired gunsmithing skills I put on a 40 MOA NF rail (it came off after one trip to the range, but Kirby explained how to install them correctly after he got my panic email), Burris Xtreme rings; one of my NF scopes. (usually the 3.5-15x56 with NP-R2) - a Harris bi-pod with pod lock - and a sling.

I don't see why you couldn't make it a 338 RUM or better yet a 338 edge. I'm no smith, in fact, only now after 3 years of study am I qualified to sweep a good smiths shop. (hopefully I wouldn't throw away any good parts or tools that fell on the floor).

Update on my .338 RUM Project

Not sure if anyone cares but here's the latest update on my project: It looks like I'm about to trade my CZ550 in .30-06 for a Remington 700 LSS in .375 RUM.

I have consulted with my gunsmith buddy who is a competitive shooter and who has experience at building precision rifles. He's a bona fide smith who builds his own precision rifles which I have personally seen and shot so I know his work is good. Assuming the trade goes through, we're going to take the action from this Remington, true it, then install a high-quality .338 RUM barrel on it. I'd like to think that I'm a "real man" but I will definitely be putting a brake on it!

He's trying to convince me to go with a #5 contour but I'm thinking #6 or maybe even a #7. After all, I'm not planning on humping this thing for miles and miles. This is going to be a long canyon and ridge hunting rifle. What are your thoughts on this?

Not sure if I'm going to keep the laminated stock or go with something else. H.S. Precision? McMillan? Try to figure out if I can make an AICS work? I love the AICS on my .308 but I don't think the magazine set up would work at all for the .338 RUM even with the long action chassis. Not sure on the stock yet.

So much for the "budget build." Still, I'm only paying actual cost on parts and I'm getting a discount on labor because the smith is my friend and because we shoot together. So I can't complain there.

Thank you to everyone who has replied and offered guidance. If you care, I'll keep you updated on this project. If not, I won't. Don't wanna be a pest.

Doug

Re: Update on my .338 RUM Project

Doug for what its worth this is what the LSS looks like with a #7 fluted barrel.
870339bc.jpg

The #7 contour doesn't leave much wood on the sides of the barrel channel area on the factory LSS stock.

This rig is 12 1/2 lbs with all of the stuff in the picture.

Doug,

I have no personal experience, but the word over at snipers hide, where they are quite familiar with the AICS platform, is that neither the 300WM nor the 338 Laupa magazines will feed the 338 RUM properly. Anyone with differing first hand experience feel free to contradict.

As for the contour, I always end up carrying my rifles farther than I expect. At this point, I would personally be inclined to go with your buddy's recomendation, especially because a #5 isn't exactly thin either.

I can't speak for everyone, but as for me, I really like seeing detailed builds and updates on the board. Just don't forget the pics!

[ QUOTE ]
Doug for what its worth this is what the LSS looks like with a #7 fluted barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[image snipped]

Good Lord! How long is that barrel?

DougD

FWIW there was a guy selling just the Savage actions for +/- 350 for the LA. You could start there.

My future build will be a Savage action with a Krieger #7 at 30" with a Mcree stock. NF scope. Still on the fence about the reticle. If it shoots like my Remy 300 WM I might just sell the WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.