338 rum and 250 Bergers

Doublezranch

It's been a super long time since I reworked loads for my 338 RUM. It currently shoots 87 grains of 7828ssc and a 265 LRX bullet. I have some 250 Bergers and SMK's laying around. I thought I would cook up something new. Anyone shooting these currently and what are your loads. Is there a OAL that seems to work best?

Thanks everyone...

Jayson

I'm running the top load straight out of the Hodgdon web site for both H1000 and Retumbo. My reamer is set up for the 300 so I'm jumping them a ridiculous amount but they shoot amazing with a jump, one rifle is an 8 pounder with a NF on it and it put down a 3.5 inch five shot at 1030 yards. I may prefer the 250 over the 300 honestly, they get there fast!!

Jayson...if you still have some N570 laying around, you should give that a try. I got more speed with less pressure in both my 7RM and 7STW with N570 versus Retumbo.

Getting a gun ready for a cow elk hunt?

Season opens pretty soon. Will be in touch as season gets closer.

jjw
ND

bigngreen,

What's your OAL? That's impressive (not surprising) you have that gun shooting as well as it does. Berger's are weird with land jump. Some love it, some hate it. I have no doubt those bullets are crazy fast. I'm ready for a change. The LRX Bullets did their job for years. It's time to change things up and see if I can get more potential. I struggled between the 300 and the 250's but I have the 250's in house. I also have a huge selection of powder so I feel confident we can get something better than I have now.

Hey JW,

Dad's once in a lifetime cow will be shot with his 7 saum. I haven't changed some of my loads for a very long time. The 338 rum is one of those rifles. I have several pounds of n570 but my Texan eats it like candy. I should have enough to at least work something up. I would have over looked n570 for sure. I'll look into it.

Congrats on your elk!!! Your video was incredibly cool. That 7stw is sure a hammer!!

Jayson

I'm using 92 gr of reloader 25 with Berger 250. (Max load) Getting right at 3000 fps according to moa dialed. We shot a couple of bears with the combo a couple weeks ago. Do an excellent job. I would reccomend the bergers over the smks as its a better hunting round, but smks shoot equally as accurate out of my gun. Bergers shoot about 1 moa flatter at 600yds out of my gun

No they are .020 off lans. They won't fit in magazine. I do use the same powder charge with 250 accubonds that will fit in magazine. I believe those are seated at 3.600. I will have to double check. With accubonds they shot the same seated just off the lands or at magazine length. The load shows a little signs of pressure in primers only. This gun/ barrel seems to shoot best at the top end.

I have found the 250s to be just as good as the 300gr inside 1k. 300's start to take
Over past 1k

Enjoyed reading your post on the 338 RUM

I have settled on the 225gr Swift A-Frame and RL 22 for my hunting load in my 338 RUM.

With the 250 I have had good luck with RL 25.

It's been a super long time since I reworked loads for my 338 RUM. It currently shoots 87 grains of 7828ssc and a 265 LRX bullet. I have some 250 Bergers and SMK's laying around. I thought I would cook up something new. Anyone shooting these currently and what are your loads. Is there a OAL that seems to work best?

Thanks everyone...

Jayson
DoubleZranch,
You can find our 338 RUM load data here : http://www.bergerbullets.com/Reloading_Data/338RUM250gr.pdf
All loads are based on the COAL listed with the data. I suggest you start your seating depth testing at .015 off the lands and work forward to .005 off the lands in .005 increments. If that dosent work then go back to the .015 off the lands and work back into the cartridge case in .005 increments. Once the seating depth accuracy node is found. Work the load back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. As has been mentioned before you MAY find that the loaded round will not fit or cycle through the magazine due to the cartridge COAL because these are such a long bullet. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.