338 Lapua and 250 Bergers

BigGrizz

So I have started to really apply myself to working up the best load that I can for my Lapua. Prior to this I worked something up to suffice for hunting season.

I have decided that I don't want to shoot the 300's, as I am able to drive 250's fast enough to compensate for the lower BC (Which I do not see as a disadvantage to this point).

What I am wondering is, are the Elite Hunters not structurally sound enough to handle the Lapua pressures and speeds. I read that the Lapua is the borderline cartridge for the nose issue that was being reported. I have OTMs as well, I just haven't gotten into them yet.

Here is a pic of what I did today:

It's not a bad pair of groups for 100yds and just working on a load, but I'm not pleased at 300yds, and that may be due in part to me.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

My velocities are anywhere from 2800-3100fps depending on my powder and load.
I have an established load of 92gr of IMR 7828 at ~3100~, and my H1000 and Retumbo loads have been from 2740-2850 on loads of 92-93gr.

sir my go to load for BOTH 250 gr elite hunters and 300 gr smks or 300 gr hunting vlds is 92 gr h1000
15 off
it works for 200 to 1200 very very well
2 elk drt
1 monster alberta mulie 194 drt at 650
that is out of a bone stock savage
my kirby gun is taking a lifetime to get so i bought a a savage lrh and have been merrily shooting away waiting for kirby to get around to delivering my gun

i am not as smart as a lot of folks here but i LOOOOOOVE my 338 and the 92 gr loading

I believe that I'm headed in the right direction. I was satisfied with my 300yd group today. I seated my bullets a hair deeper and loaded up to 94 grains of Retumbo. Performed very well. I'll still fiddle with it, but I'm satisfied this far.

Thanks for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

BigGrizz,
The "nose slump" issue was resolved long ago so if these bullets were bought new in the last 2-3 years you will not have a problem. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us.
Thanks for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I'm getting it figured out barefoot. I had them shooting a 2" group at 300 yesterday. I'm going to play with the charge some more, and I'm fairly certain that I'm close on the seating depth.

BTW thanks for the reply

I'm getting it figured out barefoot. I had them shooting a 2" group at 300 yesterday. I'm going to play with the charge some more, and I'm fairly certain that I'm close on the seating depth.

BTW thanks for the reply
Big Grizz,
You are welcome sir! Please let us know if you have any questions as you go along in your testing.
Also you may want to go to our website and print out a target of the animal you are hunting to get an idea of bullet placement and testing. Click on "HUNTING" in the tool bar and go to "Hunting targets" in the drop down.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I've been loading the 250 in the RUMs and they really seem to like some jump, they shot well in close but in the .090 of they shot incredible!

I've been loading the 250 in the RUMs and they really seem to like some jump, they shot well in close but in the .090 of they shot incredible!
bigngreen,
Yes! Our Hybrid bullets like the Classic hunter are very jump tolerant. But that doesn't mean you cant "tweak" them to find a seating depth sweet spot if you want. Glad they work and thank you for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.