338 RCM Question

BitterrootBob

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question but here it is. Nosler has a new for 2012 .338 300 grain Accubond that is 1.750" long with a crazy ballistic coefficient of 0.750 and sectional density of 0.375.

My question is could the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum be loaded with this bullet for use in a Ruger #1? I doubt it would work in any bolt action because it would have to be seated too deep. I have read Ruger #1 frequently have excessively long throats, though.

I know the real answer is to use a 338 Norma or 338 Lapua but I am looking to put together a unit for mountain hunting where I would be hiking a significant distance and am not going to carry a huge rifle.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question but here it is. Nosler has a new for 2012 .338 300 grain Accubond that is 1.750" long with a crazy ballistic coefficient of 0.750 and sectional density of 0.375.

My question is could the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum be loaded with this bullet for use in a Ruger #1? I doubt it would work in any bolt action because it would have to be seated too deep. I have read Ruger #1 frequently have excessively long throats, though.

I know the real answer is to use a 338 Norma or 338 Lapua but I am looking to put together a unit for mountain hunting where I would be hiking a significant distance and am not going to carry a huge rifle.

With the case capacity of the 338 RCM I would say yes. I dont know what the velocity would be
but It would be interesting. Recoil will be brisk.

I have had great luck with the 200 and 225 grain Accubonds, the best accuracy so far in a very light
(7.2 pound ) model 7 has been .202 (2/10ths) @ 100 yards.

My 200 grain load is 2990 ft/sec (The 338 Winchester does 2960) with the same weight bullet.

So as long as you can get a sufficient powder charge in it, seating depth would/should not be a
problem.

I load all of my hunting rifle cartriges to magazine length and accuracy is very good (well
under 1/2 MOA)

Good luck and keep us posted on the results with the 300 ABs.

J E CUSTOM

I built a 338 RCM on a M77 Ruger tang safety with a #2 22" lilja SS barrel a few years ago. Had Pacific Tool and Gauge make the identical reamer that Hornady was using. Know this because Lonnie and I talked several times.

My buddy was shooting the 300 gr Sierra in a 338 RUM and gave me a few to try. By then RL-17 was out and seeing how well it worked with a 225 gr Accubond (61 gr, vel 2750 OAL 2.930") I gave it a try. Bullet was seated to kiss the rifling. It was not going to be fed from a SA magazine that was certain. Just wanted to see what would happen. Slowly worked up to 57 grains with no signs of pressure vel 2455 fps. Used Fed 210 Match primers. Much to my surprise when I got to 57 grains the three shot group made a tiny cluster at 200 yds!

This fired up an idea I had often thought about. I always thought a high BC bullet with that much weight from a smaller case using a small amount of powder would be able to fired repeatedly without excessive barrel wear and shouldn't heat up quickly yet perform down range with plenty of energy and minimal wind drift. Ended up making a second 338 RCM but had it long throated so the Sierra boattail/body junction was even with the case's shoulder/body junction and kiss the rifling. It is in a Joel Russo stocked Interarms Mark X. The barrel is a #5 lilja profile 30", 1 in 9 twist. I had Dan Pederson rebore/rerifle this barrel which was originally an ill fated 1 in 7 twist 7mm lilja. This package shot the 300 gr sierra at 2520 fps with 57.5 gr of RL-17.

Then the 300 gr Berger OTM hybrid showed up! 56.5 gr of RL-17 vel 2550 fps shot very well out to 500 M where I tested it on several occasions. Recoil was not bad for a rifle weighing 14 lbs. Still using Fed 210 Match. It bucks the wind and has lots of energy down range. Recoil is very manageable. Heck even my 7 1/2 lb lightweight 338 RCM wasn't that bad with the 300s. It is a big push not snappy like a larger 338.

Used it for the first time on a coues wt deer just last week. 400 yds impact vel 2244 fps and 3354 ft/lb of energy. Bedded deer was angled facing me. Shot behind shoulder exited between hind legs nicking rear most thigh by 1/2" . It got up and tried to walk downhill. It was moving towards the canyon bottom out of sight. I most likely would have toppled over but I put a second one through it when it offered a broadside shot. Aimed so it would pass behind the shoulders in and out which it did easily. That caused the deer to lie down and die. Neither bullet caused any excessively bloodshot meat just nice 338 cal entrance holes and 1/2" exits. I should have put the bullet into the leading shoulder, bet it wouldn't have caused much meat damage. You can bet I'll do that next time.

If you do this with your #1 I think you'll like it.

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I started thinking about this is a particular area where, from the top, one direction leads to a horse trail but the other direction...one of those places where you might as well take a knife, fork and plate. You simply aren't going to get an elk out of there without a few days of misery.

My mountain rifle for such areas is a 260 Rem and I'm just not confident that would sufficiently anchor a large bull elk without risking him going down the wrong slope into HELL. Not many people, if any, hunt this area. Consequently, there are some huge bulls roaming there.

I'm sure a 225 or 250 grain bullet from a 338 would be sufficient. And I've pretty much settled on buying a 338 RCM. I saw that 300 grain Accubond, though, and got to thinking whether that could be effectively loaded in the shorter 338. I believe I'll give it a go and I'll post the results. I have to get the gun first, though. I see Ruger made some 338 RCM in the medium sporter version of the #1. I think I'll get one ordered up. :)

Sounds like you are going to have fun. When you get the die set don't get the Redding FL set it didn't work properly. I have heard others say the same thing. Hornady FL set worked better.

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I started thinking about this is a particular area where, from the top, one direction leads to a horse trail but the other direction...one of those places where you might as well take a knife, fork and plate. You simply aren't going to get an elk out of there without a few days of misery.

My mountain rifle for such areas is a 260 Rem and I'm just not confident that would sufficiently anchor a large bull elk without risking him going down the wrong slope into HELL. Not many people, if any, hunt this area. Consequently, there are some huge bulls roaming there.

I'm sure a 225 or 250 grain bullet from a 338 would be sufficient. And I've pretty much settled on buying a 338 RCM. I saw that 300 grain Accubond, though, and got to thinking whether that could be effectively loaded in the shorter 338. I believe I'll give it a go and I'll post the results. I have to get the gun first, though. I see Ruger made some 338 RCM in the medium sporter version of the #1. I think I'll get one ordered up. :)

The factory 200 grain loads produce 3864 ft/lbs muzzle energy and that is more than enough for
Elk. It is essentially the same as the 338 Win Mag and it is a known Elk round. At 700 yards
it is still above 1500 ft/lbs of energy.

So it should be a real stopper at 4 or 500 yards.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.