338 ocw opinions?

I'm anxious to see how they group too.... do you think a harmonic node will also reflect in the velocities of certain loads. I mean the idea is to find a relaxed state in the barrel harmonics, wouldn't that also be relative to velocities? I'm curious your thoughts on this

I could not say for sure, there are more things than powder that mess with ES/SD. I do think that you will find something good in the range that you are looking at. The question is what are you going to use to determine where that node is at? You have a 1.2 grain spread that shows good ES/SD but where within that 1.2 grains are the harmonics going to line up? The group size is not necessarily the best thing to look at.

Ok I shot 4 groups of 5 to see how it groups.... its sub-moa so no complaints. This group felt great, I got excited about it and threw the last shot low right but still certainly can't complain!
20210318_121109.jpg

Ok I shot 4 groups of 5 to see how it groups.... its sub-moa so no complaints. This group felt great, I got excited about it and threw the last shot low right but still certainly can't complain!View attachment 261599

What distance was this group shot at? Do you have pictures of the other groups? There is a lot that you can learn through comparison of different groups. If you were confident with the holds the horizontal orientation of this group says a lot.
Both of these groups were shot at 600 yds with a 338 Norma Improved. The only difference is a seating depth change of .005

Pure horizontal
1CA1C4E0-A0C0-4726-994F-2DE62DC72520.jpeg

I called the flyer at the bench so I shot another just to make sure that I had a representative group
A5763F62-00A8-43CE-86B6-94A18C6B19B9.jpeg

It was 100y, I was zeroing the scope, all groups were ¾ moa.... I'm thinking I'll reload as accurately and carefully as possible then go out 600-ish and see what the groups look like.
I'm running real low on powder now 😳

If you have not done one yet a seating depth test would probably be in your best interest. I usually do a rough seating depth test at 100 yds once I have narrowed down my charge weights. I all but burnt out a barrel once on a rifle trying to tweak powder before seating. 3/4" groups were common but I wanted 1/2".

They're seated now to mag length, ill have to see what that is when I get home, I'd like to be able to use the magazine, but I guess the reality is that I single load anyway so really doesn't matter..... I'll load up a few at different depths then look at groups at maybe 300...but ill look at this combo at distance to determine if I wanna mess with making the magazine un usable

I don't think you are that far off. Usually when I do seating depth I use 0.10 increments first at 100 and then do .005 at distance. Be aware that seating depth changes can increase pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.