338 lapua/nightforce

joe30007

I am building a 338 lapua on a predator x action and 30" kreaiger barrel. I have been looking at scopes and bases the nightforce 8x32x56nsx has 65moa elev.and the 12x42x56 has 45 moa why so low and is that enough? Any sugestions on brakes? Looking at the definsive edge and flint & frizzen. Thanks for any help first all custom gun. Im getting kreaiger to chamber is their anyone better?

How far do you want to shoot? Are you going to use a MOA base?

You get less adjustment with higher magnification. Drop down to the 5-22x and you get 100 MOA.

I never have used the moa bases but thinking about it. Im wanting to shoot very long range. Just playing all my hunting shots are 4-500 yards and in. I have done some 1000 yd shots with my 7mm with the 168 bergers. But im wanting to see how far I can go. Want to get the highest power I can with still having room in adjustments. That dont make sence to me why they have less for longer shots.

With the 8-32, you can get about 1200 yards out there. Add a 20 MOA base and you can reach 1600.

With the 12-42, it's 1000 and 1400.

Back off to the 5-22 and you can reach 1500 or 1800 with the 20 MOA base.

You up to the task of shooting a deer at 1800 yards? I'm sure not.

Get a 20 moa base from NF or Seekins because it won't hurt you - any of the NF's will have plenty of down adjustment. As far as brakes, I love my Defensive Edge on my 300 ultra - send it to Carlock and you won't be sorry. Good luck.

On my 338 Lapua I have a 5.5x22 nxs and a 40 moa base. This puts me very close to the botton of my elevation. With 300 smk's at 2850 or a bit more. I have shot to 2100 yards and was 82 to 85 moa up.

Jeff

dont be affraid of the 8x32 ive used mine on my 7mmwsm and shot over 1900 yards. you can see pictures from that day here in the shooting section. i used a 30 moa base. the other thing is your reticule. on mine i used a npr1 this give you 20 more moa of reticule hold. if you want to shoot along ways you have to be able to see the target.

also if you are dedicating this as a long gun you can zero the rifle at 600 then hold down on the retical for shorter shots. this will allow you to use a 40 moa base. this is what im doing with my new 338 lapua.

If I wanted to be able to shoot at 100 or 1200 what bases should I use? Thanks alot for the help.

I am building a 338 lapua on a predator x action and 30" kreaiger barrel. I have been looking at scopes and bases the nightforce 8x32x56nsx has 65moa elev.and the 12x42x56 has 45 moa why so low and is that enough? Any sugestions on brakes? Looking at the definsive edge and flint & frizzen. Thanks for any help first all custom gun. Im getting kreaiger to chamber is their anyone better?

You might want to add the "G" force "Pic rail" (beyond Mil. Spec) which will give you an additional 20 or 30 MOA and Burris Signature "High Z' rings(with inserts) with another 20 MOA. This will put you well beyond 1760 depending on your elevation to sea level and weather/humidity. Brakes? Miles Gibby(master gunsmith) makes custom brakes. Miles will tell you what to do. Follow his advise and you will have "1/2" inch (centered) groups" at 600 yards 1 706 778-7847.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.