338 Lapua Magnum fit in short action (SA)

No Fear in Accuracy

I bought a custom rifle. It is trued Rem 700 Police SA, Krieger #17 @ 28", McMillan A-5 with adjustable cheek piece.
The caliber is 6BR.

I plan to use it as a switch-barrel rifle. 6BR + 284 Norma. Both have the same bolt face.
I love 6BR and it shoots .107 and .138 inch at 200 yards with 4 shots each.

Anyway, I thought about it and the action is a single-shot. I've seen the benchrest shooters took the bolt out and insert the cartridge into it and put the bolt back in and fired.

Just asking you....is it "possible" to use 338 Lapua Magnum in short action (SA) as a single shot?
Meaning that I will take out the bolt and insert it? Yes, I'll need to purchase the magnum bolt and switchable barrel.

I bought a custom rifle. It is trued Rem 700 Police SA, Krieger #17 @ 28", McMillan A-5 with adjustable cheek piece.
The caliber is 6BR.

I plan to use it as a switch-barrel rifle. 6BR + 284 Norma. Both have the same bolt face.
I love 6BR and it shoots .107 and .138 inch at 200 yards with 4 shots each.

Anyway, I thought about it and the action is a single-shot. I've seen the benchrest shooters took the bolt out and insert the cartridge into it and put the bolt back in and fired.

Just asking you....is it "possible" to use 338 Lapua Magnum in short action (SA) as a single shot?
Meaning that I will take out the bolt and insert it? Yes, I'll need to purchase the magnum bolt and switchable barrel.

Yes it can be done. I once had a 30 x338 in a short action single shot and it was a pain in the ***.

With a little work it would eject a fired case but a loaded round had to be extracted by removing
the bolt. Not the safest thing to do.

I would recomend that a firing pin safety be used if this was the only way to remove the case.

A long action is my recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

It would work fine. I run a 375 RUM Improved with an OAL of 4.2" out of a Savage Target Action. The fired cases eject without a problem. Loaded cases can be fed through the loading/ejection port, but you may need to pull the bolt to extract a loaded round. If you remove the ejector from the bolt you would probably be able to extract loaded rounds and then just "dump" them out of the action by tipping the rifle to one side.

Andrew

I just went through a long search on cartridges and actions and I finally read Jim Bordens Small article on the 338LM. It is on the Borden Rifles website. Particularly why he will not chamber it in his actions. Interesting and explained in engineering terms, in case you need and can understand such. I do not, but I did understand the loading data comparison and it puts the 338LM as ( to me only) not worth the time, trouble, wear and tear on a normal action. A much better choice would be the 338 Edge or the 338RUM if you really need that much.
My choice is a Ramrod long action from Northwest Action Works. A custom action avoids most of the common problems. I am hoping that the 7RM will do all I can as a long range hunter.
I do hope you run down that article. It's educational.

Thanks John

In rereading your opening, while you have a Remington , you describe the shooting of a shellholder bolt. Your bolt should have a snapover extractor that doesn't require placing the cartridge in it. It will seat with the action of chambering. Using it as a shellholder bolt will, I believe, require removing the ejector. I also used my trued Rem700 in 30IHMSA as a shellholder bolt. As J E put it, a PITA, the more you shoot the bigger it is.
Re: Borden You can not safely chamber a 338LM in a 700 sized action. That's my read.

John

I haven't thought about the shellholder bolt. I've seen the benchrest shooters do it.

The reason is that I think it might work because I looked at Pacific Tool and Gauge website.

When you click "Two piece short action Remington bolt" Order online button.

You will see "Choose bolt face" there are 7 different bolt size, including Lapua .590 face.

Why would they make Remington 700 SA bolt in .590? (I presume they don't use the original Rem 700 bolt, they build it from scratch, using the CNC machine)

This is what I'm saying.

You think it is safer to use CNC bolt instead of the original Rem 700 bolt?

I believe Bordens reservation with the 700 action was with the barrel shank size and that there would not be enough thickness after being chambered for that big a cartridge base. This is as far as i can go from memory and I do not want to put words in his mouth. I can prolly get you a link, though you could get it too. I would be interested in what Kiff says but will talk to him later this year on my project. Good luck whatever you decide.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.