6.5-.284 in savage short action?

Kedron

Hey, I have a Savage 10fp in .308 that shoots great but I was entertaining the notion of (at least when I get a better handle on this wind doping thing) rebarreling to 6.5-.284. Do any of you have experience with the savage short actions and the .284 case. If it will fit at all can I use the 142 grain smk. If the wildcat won't fit I suppose a .260 would be nearly as good but really doesn't offer much advantage over .308 besides slightly lessened recoil and possibly smaller holes in coyote pelts. I'd like any thoughts if you have them guys. Thanks.

Ernie,

The 6.5-284 will work in a short action as long as it is converted to single shot and you dont mind takeing out the bolt to remove loaded rounds, you might also want to try other bullets besides the smk they have probably the worst B.C. of all the 6.5 bullets in that weight range, The .260rem can be very impresive with a 30"+ barrel, and also has a lower initial cost for reloading.
-Brian

The Savage short actions are a little longer than the Rem short actions this is why they can get away with chambering them for the WSM rounds.
Although the 284 case is a slight bit longer I don't believe that you will notice.

You can have the 308 rechambered for the Larger 300WSM for alot less than you can have it rebarreled for if doping the wind is your problem but I woulden't recomend shooting coyotes if your wanting to keep the pelts.

BUT I kow a few guys out west that have gone from shooting a 6.5-284 to shooting an Ackly improved 260Rem for long range dirt poodles. They say that the slight velocity increase doesen't out weight the longer barrel life and easier reloads of the 260Ai

.. I've heard the same thing from a few sources that regularly shoot long BR and such.. Could it be that the old 6.5x55 was really just "ahead of it's time".? Hehehe.. d:^) JiNC

I have to agree with Jake in the 6.5 x 55 or the AImp. is a fine round. Some of the swed's can really shoot when put into a good stock and the AI speed is right up there with the 6.5-06 or the 6.5-284. Not much recoil and good BC. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.