338 lapua load?

sniperboy

Hi to all!
I just got built a 338 lapua rifle and am now in the process of reloading a adequate load to take out large game up to 1000yards. i have already bought a box of 250g smk projectiles and a tin of n170 vihtavuori powder, is this reccomended? or if not what powder is reccomended and how much?
My rifle consists of a 26' maddco barrel and nesika bay action, if this information is required.
looking forward to your replies.

thank you.

I find it strange that there´s no 338 LM data in Vihtavuori online manual, I wanted to guide you there.

I have only used N165 with my 338LM loads. You will probably get better advice but what I did now was a little powder change in "Quick Load" -program. I have previously used 250 Woodleighs / 96 grains N165 with a Sako TRG-S . Now QL gave me 100 grains to get a medium pressure load with N170.

I would personally start around 95 grains N170 / 250 SMK at first with a new rifle and everything unknown. Depending on your barrel length, everything may or may not burn when using N170.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the barrel info. N170 looks a little too slow according to QL. But it´s just a program... you will get a nice muzzle flash for sure.

Maybe try N165 or N560?

I too have just built a 338 lapua mag
I have had good luck with the following:
250 gr match king, 96.5 gr of Rutumbo, cci lg rifle primer

300 gr match king, 101 gr of US869, cci lg rifle primer

both loads key holed the target at 200 yrds
1 shot at 7 o'clock in the 8 ring
the other shot at 4 o'clock in the 8 ring

my rifle has a 30 in bbl w/ muzzle break

do you have any pictures that you can post?

Glad to see others interested in the .338 lapua. Im currently working on developing loads for my Armalite Ar30. Just found a new Hodgdon 869 powder that looks good. I should have more info on it in a few days. Been shooting some reloader 22 and H1000 recently...all with 300 gr bullets. I would like to discuss reloading, seating, and accuracy with other lapua .338 shooters. [email protected]

i WILL TRY AND POST PICTURES OF MY RIFLE HERE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, BUT UNTIL THEN HERE IT IS

30" SHILEN #14 HEAVY PALMA CONTOUR
LAWTON 7000 ACTION/W FLUTED ACTION BOLT
CUSTOM MUZZLE BREAK BUILT BY THE MAKER
AI STOCK
5 ROUND BOX MAG
LEO MARK 4 8.5 X 25 X 50 MIL-DOT
OLIVE DRAB DURA COAT ON THE ACTION AN BARREL
THE MAKER NAME IS JOHN VAN DYKE OF KA
WEB SIGHT VANDYKE RIFLES. COM

KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE LOADE YOU COME UP WITH AND ILL DO THE SAME

SO FAR I HAVE ONLY USED US869 AND RUTUMBO POWERS

[ QUOTE ]
I find it strange that there´s no 338 LM data in Vihtavuori online manual, I wanted to guide you there.

I have only used N165 with my 338LM loads. You will probably get better advice but what I did now was a little powder change in "Quick Load" -program. I have previously used 250 Woodleighs / 96 grains N165 with a Sako TRG-S . Now QL gave me 100 grains to get a medium pressure load with N170.

I would personally start around 95 grains N170 / 250 SMK at first with a new rifle and everything unknown. Depending on your barrel length, everything may or may not burn when using N170.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the barrel info. N170 looks a little too slow according to QL. But it´s just a program... you will get a nice muzzle flash for sure.

Maybe try N165 or N560?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some loads, including the published by Vihtavuori Oy

LB2_338Lap.jpg

I, along with other friends who have switched from the Lapua to the Edge, used tto load 96 gr H1000, 225gr accubonds. This load shot well for more than one gun in 338 Lapua. Something for you to look at possibly and the accubonds do perform well, The Lapua just did not have enough down range energy for my liking. Great caliber out to 800 or so.

[ QUOTE ]
I, along with other friends who have switched from the Lapua to the Edge, used tto load 96 gr H1000, 225gr accubonds. This load shot well for more than one gun in 338 Lapua. Something for you to look at possibly and the accubonds do perform well, The Lapua just did not have enough down range energy for my liking. Great caliber out to 800 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're splitting a pretty fine frogs hair if you're claiming that the Edge is ballisticaly supirior.......
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Bumping from a factory 26" barrel to a 30" on the edge, and switching to 300 gr smk pushed at 2850, down range energy is far superior. Now if you custom chamber a Lapua in a 30" tube, balistics will be similar, with velocities pushing uper 27s. Down side to the Lapua is cost of reloading in my book. The cost of brass is a huge difference, and Being good friends with the designer of the edge makes me feel better about having one as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Bumping from a factory 26" barrel to a 30" on the edge, and switching to 300 gr smk pushed at 2850, down range energy is far superior. Now if you custom chamber a Lapua in a 30" tube, balistics will be similar, with velocities pushing uper 27s. Down side to the Lapua is cost of reloading in my book. The cost of brass is a huge difference, and Being good friends with the designer of the edge makes me feel better about having one as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Designer of the Edge is building my 338 Laupa as we speak.Expected velocity with 300 Grain SMK's is the same 2850 FPS. The intail building would have been cheaper to go with the EDGE,but I chose the Laupa because of the stronger and better quality brass (Not The Norma Made Laupa brass).The Laupa made brass can with stand higher pressures,than can the Edge Brass,so at the same pressure level the Laupa brass should last longer.Kirby Allen is makeing 300/338 Laupa Improved rifles for the very reason of the stronger cases.The Edge is easier to make feed and the only way that I am aware of tio make the Laupa feed reliabley is with a single stack magazine.Mine will be set up with for a loaded lenght of 3.9 inches and I am going with a 30" ABS barrel.......
thumb.gif
Good luck to you with your build you can't go wrong either way IMHO.......
thumb.gif

Last edited:
I use 94 gr of retumbo with the 300 smk's and they shoot great. I use 102 grains of Retumbo with the 225 Accubond's. The 225's shoot about 1/2" and the 300 smk's are capable of 1/4", but admittily I shoot them about 1/2" too. An unbraked 338 lapua is a challenge to shoot a 1/4" group with....for me anyway.

I can't wait to see the new bergers and the 250 accubonds when they come out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.