.338 lapua improved on ti action

Mk 5 is a 1.062 and the numbers that have extraction issues when you run hotter is a known issue, breaking extractors running hard is common. The MK 5 action with the same chamberings as a Stiller Tac 338 will be on the extraction cams sooner. The are a hell for stout action but will allow a little more chamber swell than a larger tenon.

What size is the tenon thread?
They run the same as Remington and most clones 1.062 X 16 . I have never heard of anyone having issues with the Mark V and they have been using them for decades with this size case. Maybe I have just never pushed them that hard.

Weatherby brass gives up the ghost at the top end but the Lapua will get you into extraction issues. I know guys who pack an extra extractor for the Mk5.

They run the same as Remington and most clones 1.062 X 16 . I have never heard of anyone having issues with the Mark V and they have been using them for decades with this size case. Maybe I have just never pushed them that hard.
Then my answer would be, not suitable. I'm guessing Weatherby uses Hammer Forged Chromoly barrels on the rifles they build in that caliber and that probably adds some strength vs a cut rifled SS barrel but it still isn't a combination I would want.

Then my answer would be, not suitable. I'm guessing Weatherby uses Hammer Forged Chromoly barrels on the rifles they build in that caliber and that probably adds some strength vs a cut rifled SS barrel but it still isn't a combination I would want.
They use button rifled SS barrels on these rifles. I could see if one is pushing lapua brass hard it could produce extraction issues. My Stiller had extraction issues before any other pressure signs. Lapua brass is stout! Thank you for your opinions I like hearing another point of view.

To the OP you may also want to check out Loan peak Razor TI actions. They are built with a larger DIA bolt and 20 tpi tennon threads to retain a little extra steel in the barrel. I have one of the new FUZION TI 338 lapua on order set to be delivered next week.

If you want a lapua bolt face on a remington footprint look at a Bat HR. With or without the integral rail center cut out. It will allow you to reach full pressure in a lapua case. It gets no better or smoother.
1.125x16tpi tenon
.720 bolt
flat boltface, cone on single shots if requested
beefed up lower lug abutment
Bat is very willing to work with you on custom requests.
integral lug and rail (optional)
I have one of the new Curtis' ordered as well, that should be a good choice too.

IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG

Last edited:
What action did Tom have at the 2000 yrd,havent seen him in a bit.Run into Leo and Scott at pistol club

That's funny about the rem 700. I had always thought the 338 police model had a larger footprint and bolt for the larger case. Its somewhat interesting that remington would just open the bolt face up to fit a 338LM.

That's funny about the rem 700. I had always thought the 338 police model had a larger footprint and bolt for the larger case. Its somewhat interesting that remington would just open the bolt face up to fit a 338LM.

Why not? There's probably more Rem based Lapua's in existence than all of the customs out there...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.