338 lapua improved with re26?

odoylerules

I have a 338 Lapua improved with the defensive edge plus P throat. I plan to shoot 300 grain Berger elite hunters. This is a hunting rig. With N570 being non existent, I want to look at possible alternatives. Shawn at DE said he doesn't think I can get enough RE33 in the case to reach desired velocities.
Has anyone tried reloader 26 in this or similar setups? Normally I would think that powder would pressure out but with the Plus P throat maybe it will work. I don't know where to start any thoughts? or anyone with a software program got any suggestions please?
Any thoughts on N565? I've got 3 lbs

I run a 300 Lapua improved. I ran out of case right as I hit pressure with RL33 and the 181gr HH.

I plan to take a look at RL26 to see if additional velocity can be had or not.

I took a look at Kiby's thread with RL33 he topped out at 106gr in one of his 338AX's. I think you'd be right on the edge to reach pressure with RL33 with the +P throat.

I have laser tested with RL 33 and it is now my powder of choice with 300gr Berger! Tried H1000 (which I use in my std lapua). Gettin right at 3000 fps. Ladder test with Retumbo and H1000 didn't give but 2875 before both maxed out! VV570 I ran short test and after dangerous experience with VV550 with temperatures both high and low being massive over pressure! VV570 is supposed to be stable but limited testing at temperature extremes shows big pressure swings in the combo I'm using! Hopefully RL33 will be available soon again!!

I use RL33 in my regular Lapua with the 300 gr berger E hunting bullets . I'm getting 2930 FPS with a 30" bbl . I have not worked with RL26 in mine , but it looks like 33 will give about 100FPS more velocity over 26 . N570 should give about the same velocity as RL33 , 8 FPS more . I have no info on N565

I've been using RL26 in my 338 Lapua with the 213gr Hammer Hunter bullet. Extremely accurate and single digit ES. Can't remember my actual load......will have to look it up

My brother is just finishing his .338 lapua improved with rl 33 and 300hr Lasers from cutting edge. 3100fps with a 34" tube.
I'd give rl33 a shot and see what it does

I have a 338 Lapua improved with the defensive edge plus P throat. I plan to shoot 300 grain Berger elite hunters. This is a hunting rig. With N570 being non existent, I want to look at possible alternatives. Shawn at DE said he doesn't think I can get enough RE33 in the case to reach desired velocities.
Has anyone tried reloader 26 in this or similar setups? Normally I would think that powder would pressure out but with the Plus P throat maybe it will work. I don't know where to start any thoughts? or anyone with a software program got any suggestions please?
Any thoughts on N565? I've got 3 lbs

Isn't your chambering essentially Shawn's 338 Terminator? If that is in fact the case, he has very solid recorded data on his site with RL33 and N570. I'd bet RL26 is too fast for that chambering. N565 May be just as good, but I have no experience with it as I have been ratholing as much 570 as I can get my hands on. Based on Vihtavuori's site it looks like you'd be ~5 grains less N565 than you'd be running with N570. Again, that is just based on Vihtavuori's load data for a standard Lapua.

I'm shooting Flatline 256 GN at 3407 fps using 107.5 GN of RL26 in Petersen brass with Federal GM215M primers with a 4.125 COAL. This is from a 32" Bartlien gain twist (9.5-8) 338 LMAI. Those figures came from a five shot group at 1640 yards with an ES of two, but there had/has to be an elevation error--something--because I used .398BC at 3405 fps when the BC should have been .434. I think.

Isn't your chambering essentially Shawn's 338 Terminator? If that is in fact the case, he has very solid recorded data on his site with RL33 and N570. I'd bet RL26 is too fast for that chambering. N565 May be just as good, but I have no experience with it as I have been ratholing as much 570 as I can get my hands on. Based on Vihtavuori's site it looks like you'd be ~5 grains less N565 than you'd be running with N570. Again, that is just based on Vihtavuori's load data for a standard Lapua.
Yeah pretty much a terminator. Shawn thought I couldn't get enough R33 into the case to make desirable velocity, he thought I could give R26 a try, but he had zero data on it.
I can't find N570, otherwise that's what id be using. I have 3 lbs of 565.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.