.338 Lapua dies??

traks44

with things starting to come togethar I really need to get my dies ordered. I have a Montana Action and couldnt decide which dies to get? any advice would be great?

full size, neck, competition etc.???

Bounty Hunter, can you expand on why it should be a full-length sizer? I full-length size my 338 lapua cases after each firing but have been wondering if I should buy a neck sizer after reading the various posts here. Thanks.

Traks44, I use an RCBS comp die with a .364 bushing. It's the only one I've ever used though as I'm pretty new at this as well. So hopefully others with their experience will help you out.

-- Don

Traks44,
I just got a AR-30 .338 lapua. After many questions, I went with the Forster Ultra BR Micro dies, and they seem very good so far, only loaded 20 rds. Might have to take it out this weekend for the first time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You can get them from midway for about $80 I think, a good deal for a micro set. The plus of a micro set is the ablility to load different bullets without losing your most accurate oal for either.
As far as Full length goes, I just do a partial resize (neck-size) with the full-length die instead of buying a neck sizer. Doing this, or neck sizing, will almost always give you better accuracy, because the cartridge is centered in the chamber, which in turn centers the bullet with the bore. This gave me < 1/2 moa @ 100yds with my 257wby cust. I will see if it works for the bigger (338lap) will start load development soon; I dont see any reason for it not to.

good shooting, brent

I will be expecting reports from the AR-30 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Man I cant wait to get my gun all put togethar!!!

Just, i think you'll find that just about all of the experienced or competetive shooters will full length size. especially the bigger rounds.

Traks, are you building a 338 lapua? i'm in the middle of putting one of those together myself.

Dave,

My A-5 should be here anytime and then all I will have to do is bed the action.
A quick list:

Montana action .338 lapua, Matte
Montana 30 inch barrel #8 countour, Matte finish
Vias muzzle brake
A-5 stock, all the goodies, molded forest green,white,black
Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest model
20 MOA base(have yet to decide)
trigger is a crisp 3lbs......

Hearing many mixed reviews on montana, but mel from sniper central built almost an identical gun and it shot very well besides the few small problems with montana.

My father is building a 6.5x284 right now too, I am so excited because we have lots of places to open these guns up and do some long range shooting, elk, deer, chucks etc..
and they WILL be put to use!'

reports and pics to come ASAP!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.