338 Lapua brass question

Bigbore375

Hey Fella's

I'm new to the site but looks like a wealth of knowledge on here.

I've got a weatherby accumark in 338 lapua topped with a huskemaw 3-12, shooting 300gr accubonds 94gr Retumbo 10 shot avarage 2868fps.

I worked up to this load and didn't have any signs of pressure.

I'm using Prvi brass but am noticing now that the odd one (1in10)
Are showing shiny spots and ejector marks (not deep at all just a very slight outline)
No flat primers or loose primer pockets.

Prvi brass weighs 345.1gr 114.3gr H2o capacity
Lapua brass weighs 335.2gr 113.2 H2o capacity

I've never tried the Lapua brass so wondering even tho the lapua case has a smaller internal capacity do you think it would handle the pressure better or would the smaller capacity create more pressure?

Thanks in advance

Hey Fella's

I'm new to the site but looks like a wealth of knowledge on here.

I've got a weatherby accumark in 338 lapua topped with a huskemaw 3-12, shooting 300gr accubonds 94gr Retumbo 10 shot avarage 2868fps.

I worked up to this load and didn't have any signs of pressure.

I'm using Prvi brass but am noticing now that the odd one (1in10)
Are showing shiny spots and ejector marks (not deep at all just a very slight outline)
No flat primers or loose primer pockets.

Prvi brass weighs 345.1gr 114.3gr H2o capacity
Lapua brass weighs 335.2gr 113.2 H2o capacity

I've never tried the Lapua brass so wondering even tho the lapua case has a smaller internal capacity do you think it would handle the pressure better or would the smaller capacity create more pressure?

Thanks in advance

Most people use Norma or other brass to work up there 338 Lapua loads because the Lapua is tougher and doesn't show signs of pressure like other brass. after they reach the pressure point.
then they switch to the Lapua brass knowing that the max pressure is very close.

By the time pressure signs are present in the Lapua brass you have most likely exceeded the 65,000 PSI Max.

Prvi makes very good brass, so if you are showing sign of pressure you are at or near max pressure.

J E CUSTOM

94gr of retumbo is a lot with a 300 gr for a unimproved lapua. At 89 I'm only getting 4 loadings with lapua brass before the primer pockets are loose would go lower but that's what the gun likes. At 94grs I don't see brass lasting long...

If the weight is lighter the capacity should be more. I like the Lapua brass because it is tough. If you go the Berger 300 Grain Elite and use RE33 I bet you will get 2900 to 3000 without pressure in the Lapua brass. Every gun we put this in has shot 100 or more faster and no pressure. I like the Berger 300 grain Elite because it is accurate and opens on whitetails. Almost every deer we shot with this bullet has dropped like a rock. You can't shoot the Elite over 3000 because it will start to slump. The amount of powder has a lot to do with the bullet, the barrel and how it is throated. One gun might be ok with 93 Grains of Retumbo and one might not go over 88. Matt

rwest
Are you shooting the 300gr accubonds as well?
I'm thinking I might back down the load a bit only reason I worked up to 94gr was that was a max load in the Nosler book (not interested in going above book max) and my accumark really likes that load.

As it only happens to the odd one (1in10 roughly) cases do you think I'm risking damage to my action or anything else?

Since we are on the subject of brass and 338 lapua, how doni get my neck smaller? I resize and the 300gr berger and fall right in. Do I need a smaller die diameter on the resizing??
Thanks

JE Custom,

If I'm at or near max pressure with the Prvi do you think if I switched to the Lapua brass I would be better off ?
And not get the odd shiny spot or slight ejector marks?

Thanks again

Since we are on the subject of brass and 338 lapua, how doni get my neck smaller? I resize and the 300gr berger and fall right in. Do I need a smaller die diameter on the resizing??
Thanks
What die are you using? Are they neck turned brass? More info is needed. If the Berger is falling in others will too. If it is a bushing die, does it have a bushing in? Also is it set up properly? More info is needed. Matt

What die are you using? Are they neck turned brass? More info is needed. If the Berger is falling in others will too. If it is a bushing die, does it have a bushing in? Also is it set up properly? More info is needed. Matt

Sorry. They are rcbs dies. Standard, nothing special. They don't all fall in. The ones that I've fired 4-5 times are loose. Pockets are fine. I do not turn the necks. Don't know how. I do full resize. Not just necks.

Anything else???
Thanks

Mario

Big bore I can't remember my accubond load off hand but it was in the mid 80s gr 300 smk at 89gr gives me 2745 out of a 28 inch barrel 9.3 twist .015 off lands. It is max for my gun but powder lots and guns vary.

The bullet falling in means yours brass might need annealed it prob is work hardened and springs back once you size it. Just my 2 cents could be wrong tho.

I believe Rwest is right and they might need annealed. The only other way you could get more tension is with a full length bushing die. Does it have an expander in? You could polish the expander slightly like a tjousands and try. You could also take it out and see what it sizes a neck to and seat a bullet. Matt

JE Custom,

If I'm at or near max pressure with the Prvi do you think if I switched to the Lapua brass I would be better off ?
And not get the odd shiny spot or slight ejector marks?

Thanks again

It should be better and not show signs of pressure. The Lapua brass has a better designed web
that normally tightens the primer pocket with firing, but I would try a starting load of 1 grain less
and go to the same load just to see.

If the action is trued and the bolt face is flat/ trued you should get 6 to 8 loads using the Lapua
brass with one or two case neck annealing's.

J E CUSTOM

I will look into that and see about the expander. Also try annealing. And polish the expander a little to make it a thou smaller.

Thanks for the ideas.

The RE33 makes the Lapua case come alive. It will give you more velocity with less pressure. It was also the most accurate powder I tested between US869 ,Retumbo And H1000. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.