338 edge shooters

smallblock

Well I just had a 338 edge built and now need to buy some dies. Redding quoted me 16 weeks to get a die set? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I am now looking at a different alternative. I read on one post you can use a 375 RUM die to FL size and a 338 RUM neck die to final size. I was wondering could you use a Redding bushing die either a 375 or 300RUM with the proper bushing size for the 338 Edge? Next question would it be possible to use a Redding competition seating die 338 RUM?
Thanks

Smallblock,I use a Redding comp.338 Ultra seating die for my 338 Edge,Works perfect.For sizing I bought the 338-300 Ultra die.As far as using the ultra bushing sizer I was told the neck juncture was different and would not work.I cannot tell you,But get the 338 Ultra comp. seater it works great.

Thanks guys for the info, I figured it would have been to easy if I could use a bushing die. I will contact Shawn and see what he can do for a die. I would like to use the comp seating die though.

Not in relation to the 338 but redding told me as far as their bushing dies go to only use them +/- one size, but you may want to check with them. Also now adays seems like everybody is doing custom dies. You may be able to get a cheap set through lee or hornady. You may also want to think about getting a sizer then getting one of Wilsons SS seater dies(hand die SS prec,mic,$80), they are supposed to be very good.

i talked to one fellow that simply uses a set of RCBS FL 338RUM dies and gets amazing accuracy.just play with the depth of the sizer until you're bumping the shoulder a bit.same thing with the seater.you could load with these and see if you get acceptable results. might not need to dump a bunch of money into dies.

i've used a Hornady generic 338 seater ($15) and get very straight ammo.of course i have a Forster FL sizer that's had the neck reamed to my spec's.i also had a wilson blank cut with the same reamer that chambered my rifle.haven't tried any ammo with it yet though.

i'll bet next time you get a gun you won't wait till you have it in your hands to start thinking about dies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i'll bet next time you get a gun you won't wait till you have it in your hands to start thinking about dies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya that is for sure, when I originally phoned Redding they told me that they had them in stock so I never gave it a second thought to buy them right away, along with $147.00 for a set of standard dies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

i remember someone saying a while back that redding made about half a doz sets of dies when they got an order for a 338/300rum.if you order when they have some, you're in luck.when they're out, they don't make any till they get another order. i guess in this case, timing would be everything!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.