338 Edge missfire

I have another view point on the problem here. it very well could be the striker and the striker spring. another reason for the problem is hard primers. incorrect annealing before the primer cups were filled with priming solution and the anvil. I have had bad batches of hard primers in CCI, Winchester, and just about every other primer I have ever used.
from another person I see someone thinks you have over shortened your brass. here is my suggestion for checking that out. if you put a primer in a resized case and light that primer off in the chamber then measure the protrusion of the primer you can see how much excessive head space you have and you can offset that with moving your sizing die up to take most all of that space out.
later taters.

The opening already said he accidentally bumped his shoulders .010 too much. That is the cause of his miss firings. What is the cause for the cases being short is what needs answered now. Do you have several different shell holders that you use that are magnum. Even from the same maker they are not all the same. I have a shell holder for each set of dies that stays in that box. If you only had one shell holder of each you can use it independently. Don't ask me how I know this and I won't have to tell you. Check this first. Shep

Jam the bullets on the cases that are sized to much. .020 in the lands. this will bolt the case head tight to the firing pin.
Headspace is a PITA. Sure can cause case separations in a 300 WEA if too far out of spec. Never had the primer problem yet

So I load up my brass as usual and head out to the range, and to my amazement all of a sudden I have about 50% misfires, The primers are all dented, however they seem that may be a little lightly dented. This batch of brass has been loaded about 5 times (f.l. resized, bumped back .002).

I am wondering if this is normal Indication of case wear due to the high pressures of the 338 edge, this is something that I have never experienced before. My intention is to pull the bullets and start a new batch of brass, before I send it away to the smith. I guess it should be mentioned that this is just cheap Remington brass, loaded up with 84.5 gr of H 1000, pushing a 300 gr. Accubond at 2650 FPS, chambered in model 700.
Not really a hot load at all, and I have been thinking about pushing to up to the next node.
I am fairly new to this caliber, I must say the more I shoot it, the more I love it, great work Shawn!

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Where do you store your primers?

that's really light load most run in the 87-90 gr range and I would guess like others have stated there is maybe something wrong with spring or dirty bolt
Agreed..
I'm running 91.5 on 338 lapua. However doesn't answer the question of misfires..I think I would load Fed 215 in two or three empty cases and chamber and fire! Just me.

So I load up my brass as usual and head out to the range, and to my amazement all of a sudden I have about 50% misfires, The primers are all dented, however they seem that may be a little lightly dented. This batch of brass has been loaded about 5 times (f.l. resized, bumped back .002).

I am wondering if this is normal Indication of case wear due to the high pressures of the 338 edge, this is something that I have never experienced before. My intention is to pull the bullets and start a new batch of brass, before I send it away to the smith. I guess it should be mentioned that this is just cheap Remington brass, loaded up with 84.5 gr of H 1000, pushing a 300 gr. Accubond at 2650 FPS, chambered in model 700.
Not really a hot load at all, and I have been thinking about pushing to up to the next node.
I am fairly new to this caliber, I must say the more I shoot it, the more I love it, great work Shawn!

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Look at the cheapest thing first, could be some bad primers.
I would go buy brand new lot or change brands for a test.
If you have the same results then start looking at springs and so on.
If your primers are dented in the normal way then it sounds like a bad batch of primers.
I run Remington brass in my 7mm STW and do not have issues and the make if brass will not cause misfires.

Happened to me before. I took the bolt apart, sprayed with brake cleaner very generously and flushed out a lot of carbon. The put her back together and no problem since.
I don't lube the spring with anything before putting back together.
Problem solved.

Best lube for firing pin spring is Zippo lighter fluid. When it dries it leaves a very fine film. It's also the best for triggers. Shep

Exactly the reason a belt was added to the "magnum" family of cartridges. When daring men were staring down a Cape Buffalo at ridiculously short ranges they expected the rifle to fire. I don't suppose many modern hunters have been trampled to death by an angry Elk fired upon at some multiple of hundreds of yards though. :eek:

I have another view point on the problem here. it very well could be the striker and the striker spring. another reason for the problem is hard primers. incorrect annealing before the primer cups were filled with priming solution and the anvil. I have had bad batches of hard primers in CCI, Winchester, and just about every other primer I have ever used.
from another person I see someone thinks you have over shortened your brass. here is my suggestion for checking that out. if you put a primer in a resized case and light that primer off in the chamber then measure the protrusion of the primer you can see how much excessive head space you have and you can offset that with moving your sizing die up to take most all of that space out.
later taters.
Thanks, I gave that a try and the primer did not protrude, however when I tried it with a fire form case the dent in the primer was visibly deeper. So for now I will try this next size cases without the bump back and we'll see what happens.
Thanks for the good advice.

I've had this problem with 7mm rem mag,, Light firing pin strike was the problem...An easy fix for a savage 110, just adjust it to the correct position.....
No it's a stock firing pin and spring
I've had this problem with 7mm rem mag,, Light firing pin strike was the problem...An easy fix for a savage 110, just adjust it to the correct position.....

The opening already said he accidentally bumped his shoulders .010 too much. That is the cause of his miss firings. What is the cause for the cases being short is what needs answered now. Do you have several different shell holders that you use that are magnum. Even from the same maker they are not all the same. I have a shell holder for each set of dies that stays in that box. If you only had one shell holder of each you can use it independently. Don't ask me how I know this and I won't have to tell you. Check this first. Shep
There certainly is a variation in the shoulders however I have been using the same holder for all my magnum cases so there won't be any variation there
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.