338 Edge missfire

Are you using same brand dies set to shell holder to die set? I always try to use same brand shell holder to die set.

So I load up my brass as usual and head out to the range, and to my amazement all of a sudden I have about 50% misfires, The primers are all dented, however they seem that may be a little lightly dented. This batch of brass has been loaded about 5 times (f.l. resized, bumped back .002).

I am wondering if this is normal Indication of case wear due to the high pressures of the 338 edge, this is something that I have never experienced before. My intention is to pull the bullets and start a new batch of brass, before I send it away to the smith. I guess it should be mentioned that this is just cheap Remington brass, loaded up with 84.5 gr of H 1000, pushing a 300 gr. Accubond at 2650 FPS, chambered in model 700.
Not really a hot load at all, and I have been thinking about pushing to up to the next node.
I am fairly new to this caliber, I must say the more I shoot it, the more I love it, great work Shawn!

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

So I load up my brass as usual and head out to the range, and to my amazement all of a sudden I have about 50% misfires, The primers are all dented, however they seem that may be a little lightly dented. This batch of brass has been loaded about 5 times (f.l. resized, bumped back .002).

I am wondering if this is normal Indication of case wear due to the high pressures of the 338 edge, this is something that I have never experienced before. My intention is to pull the bullets and start a new batch of brass, before I send it away to the smith. I guess it should be mentioned that this is just cheap Remington brass, loaded up with 84.5 gr of H 1000, pushing a 300 gr. Accubond at 2650 FPS, chambered in model 700.
Not really a hot load at all, and I have been thinking about pushing to up to the next node.
I am fairly new to this caliber, I must say the more I shoot it, the more I love it, great work Shawn!

Thanks
Had an issue once with 357 mag pistol rounds. Problem was oil got in primer hole or on primers from my fingers. Been real careful since no problem since

Thanks
If there are slight dents on the primers how far did you seat them? Did you notice if the primers were seating too loose? Ballistic Tools sells a primer Go No Go gauge to check pockets. Also, I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and I don't reload any more than 5 times. Just my two cents.

If you did nothing different than before, take one of the misfired rounds and put a small piece of scotch magic tape on the shoulder and try firing the round. The tape is approximately.002" thick. You might have pushed the shoulder back just a little too far.
If I'm telling you to do something that is not safe, I'm sure someone here will light me up.
Had the same issue with a GAP 300 Blackout bolt gun. Only liked Blackhills ammo.

Thanks
It sounds like you may have a week firing pin spring, this does tend to happen from time to time. Also did you change up your primers because CCI are harder primers then others like Winchester and federal. It may be possible that if you did switch up primers that the firing pin spring was just strong enough to set off a softer primer but not a harder primer.

I have be been shooting my EDGE for a few years, Remington brass is fine, after a lot of heavy loads the primer pockets get loose. I shoot 90g of H1000 with 300g SMK and 100g of H1000 with 250g SGK (great hunting load). No problems with brass or primers. Great cartridge!

Thanks
The opposite should happen concerning the brass. If your firing pinand spring are oiled that can be a problem. Clean with Gunslick.

Thanks

First thing id do is run a comparator on shoulders. See if you have different lengths between loaded cases.

light firing pin or spring

reamed the pockets deep

Disassemble bolt. See if you might have some crud inhibiting pin.

If its not that Head space is always a concern.

See your local smith.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply, much appreciated! So I removed and cleaned up the firing pin and bolt, with exactly the same results. Next I swapped another firing pin from another model 700 same results again. So it wasn't a dirty pin or bad spring. Then I pulled the bullets and measured the misfired cases, turns out that they were .010 back from a fire Formed cases, instead of .002! For the life of me I can't figure out how the hell I did that!
To be honest I am quite surprised that only .010 would cause a miss fire! Looks like I did the same thing as Ross1147 (only worse)
It seems like Ten Thou isn't very much tolerance, but I hope it's the problem. For now I will just neck size and see if the miss fires stop, and not bump back on till absolutely Need to.
So what do you guys think?
Thanks again for your help.
Learning bump setting the "hardway" has probably afflicted most of us. When using a small incremental setting of the die with no apparent change I used to tighten down a little more over and over until the shoulder measured where it should be. Then checking with "scotch" tape on the case head....perfect.
Trouble starts here...next case with the same setting (if checked) would be waay short. For me anyway I use a different piece of fired brass for each adjustment. The "springback" seems to increase if using the same piece.
Also I have learned to measure every case during the bump procedure.
Fresh annealed brass will bump more than seasoned brass also. As will different brands.
My .02,
Randy

It sounds to me like; perhaps you may not be seating your primers consistently deep enough, with that said, many of the others may also be correct in that it could be a combination of primer depth and one of the other problem(s) mentioned here. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.