338 Edge and RUM reamer options available to me. Help me choose

OH58DViper

I have a 28 Nos I can't get to shoot so it's getting sent off to become a 338 RUM or Edge. Going with a 28" benchmark med Palma 1:9.5 on a Defiance action in an EH1. The reamers my smith has on hand are a standard 338 RUM reamer and a zero free bore Edge reamer. My current Mag box is 3.700 and I want to run 250's around 3000 fps.

So my questions are

Which reamer?

Would you get a longer Mag box and what's involved in that?

Is 3000 fps possible with a 3.700 COAL restriction?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 28 Nos I can't get to shoot so it's getting sent off to become a 338 RUM or Edge. Going with a 28" benchmark med Palma 1:9.5 on a Defiance action in an EH1. The reamers my smith has on hand are a standard 338 RUM reamer and a zero free bore Edge reamer. My current Mag box is 3.700 and I want to run 250's around 3000 fps.

So my questions are

Which reamer?

Thanks in advance!

A couple of questions.
Is the same smith who built the 28 nosler building the new one?
When you say it won't shoot explain please?
Do you have a supply of 338 rum brass?

A couple of questions.
Is the same smith who built the 28 nosler building the new one?
When you say it won't shoot explain please?
Do you have a supply of 338 rum brass?

Bought the gun used so it won't be the same smith

I couldnt get it to group better than 1 minute. I tried tons of different bullets, powders, primers, scope options, and shooters.... could get any consistency. Possible it was damaged during shipping IDK I came home from deployment and it was the only one of my rigs I couldn't get consistent 1/2 or better results from.

I will buy it off gun broker if necessary. I hate feeding poachers but it is what it is.

Are you dead set on the rum case?
I don't know what you have in mind for build components on the rifle but I would suggest looking into the 338 Norma mag case. It takes a lapua sized bolt face and a different mag setup but is a better cartridge than the rum case.
Just a suggestion

Are you dead set on the rum case?
I don't know what you have in mind for build components on the rifle but I would suggest looking into the 338 Norma mag case. It takes a lapua sized bolt face and a different mag setup but is a better cartridge than the rum case.
Just a suggestion

Yeah I'm kinda stuck on the two afore mentioned cartridges, have a standard Mag bolt face and don't really want to change bolts.

I have both. I shoot the Edge more.

28" barrel and 250grain or less, yes you could make 3000fps. Your brass may suffer.

If you are after 3000fps with 300grain, I don't think you will find that at 3.700 COAL.

So my questions are

Which reamer?

Thanks in advance!

My choice would be the 338 RUM. If you use the edge length cartridge with a 3.700" length magazine, you may have to seat some bullets with the front of the bearing surface inside the case neck. I think that is an undesirable condition.

My magazine choice would be a Wyatt center feed #CFE-12 but I don't think it is necessary for what you are wanting to do.

I think a 250 gr bullet at 3000 fps from a 28" is a reasonable expectation. Nosler and Hodgdon both show several 250 gr 338 RUM loads at over 2900 fps. Those are at a 3.600" OAL and with 24" and 26" barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts