.338 Cartridge Recoil Limits...

BrianW

Gents,

In reading some of the information here, it's come to my attention that rifles chambered in 338 Laupa are generally built with a muzzle brake. Some fine folks here have told my that the recoil level is just too high with lighter, normal hunting rifle weights and barrel lengths.

The 338RUM on the other hand seems to be just fine without a brake, or so I've been led to believe. I realize it's about 10grs short of the Laupa version, but the velocities appear to be within a 100fps or so of each other.

Just where do most of you draw the line when it comes to including a brake on your rifles? I'm refering to shorter (relatively speaking
smile.gif
) 26" barrels in a rifle that weighs about 9.5lbs scoped and loaded.

Feel free to just mention a bullet weight/velocity figure, or perhaps a calculated recoil number, but just a simple "this cartridge with this bullet weight" would be the simplest answer.

wink.gif

Thanks

Brian

BrainW, 90% of the time when people compare the 338laupa and 338ultra mag there compareing apples to oranges.Our two rifles are built exactly the same and they run the same velocity.As far as recoil goes we sometimes shoot without the brakes and its not to bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.