338 build. Need opinions/advice

I believe rbros has builds off remington actions and using a greybullstock will come in around 3,000$. I have a 6.5 creedmoor from him that came in around that. As far as picking a smith there are some good ones and many bad ones. If he won't guarantee the work and also isn't very well known I wouldnt use them. I have talked to more than a few people have got "custom builds" that didn't live up the expectation. I have heard good things about Layne precision but the only personal expierence I have is with Travis at rbros. Honestly he has impressed me so much I'll probably never use another smith if building a custom rifle again. The guy builds shooters, everyone of them. He can even tell you what load to use as he tests every rifle before it goes out his door. I'm not saying there aren't any other good smith's out there or even that there aren't any as good as him but what I am saying us you won't find any better than him. Just research who you decide to go with but stay away from lesser known guys. The money you save up front won't make up for the money you spend trying to get the built to your expectations.

"The money you save up front won't make up for the money you spend trying to get the built to your expectations."

Good point and advice. Thanks.

The larger norma and lapua case does require a larger/heavier action. Do guys build very accurate Lapuas/Normas on standard Rem 700 sized actions? yes. But sound engineering stress analysis says that it's not a good idea. Jim Borden has a nice article laying out the details on the links page of his website titled 338 RUM vs 338 Lapua. Check it out.

I also agree that the money you spend up front is worth it. I don't even want to add up the cost of all the bullets and powder and overall time I've spent trying to get a lesser built rifle to shoot right. The way that Pyrdoducksx3 talks about Rbros is exactly how I feel about Jim Borden. I think both of them are very close in price for a complete rifle.

Regarding my #4 contour barrel, I almost went with a fluted #4, but decided to save the money... so my only regret might be not going light enough. Jim Borden said he would comfortably go down to a #3 contour and still hold sub 1/2 moa accuracy. But doing it over I would not change a thing. Go over and check out defensiveedge.net. It's shawn carlocks sight where he sells the canyon rifle. Compare the specs of the various custom rifle packages he offers, particularly the Canyon Rifle, the Lightweight Long Range and the Long Range Stalker. Just interesting to see the barrel contours he chooses for those rifles, how much they weigh, and his intended uses for those rifles. My rifle is basically his Long Range Stalker based on size and weight.

For reference compared to Pyroducks Lapua Improved, my accurate 300 Accubond load comes in right at 2780 fps, but I was able to push up to about 2850 before I saw pressure signs. So he'll be starting off his 300 Berger at 200-225 fps more than me. Glad he posted that up to show two ends in how you can build these big 338's.

Pyroducksx3, holy $#!t that is one hell of a sexy rifle. Nice work putting that together. gun).

With the 300 Berger that is truly an ELR machine. Keep me posted with the final load you settle in on with your improved brass.

Hello,

First post so I'll give you a little background before I get into the build. Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. Hunting, fishing, shooting pretty much takes up every free moment I have. Can be a little obsessive and unhealthy at times but I'm sure a few of you can relate. I primarily archery hunt but spend a great amount of time messing with rifles and muzzleloaders as well, along with being involved in several hunts each year with all weapon types. Most of my hunting is done in Oregon, but I try to hunt out of state at least once a year. I have numerous rifles but no full customs or 338s. I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I am a novice compared to many.

I want the rifle to be for long range hunting/target shooting. Would like to keep budget below $3000 but I want quality so if it needs to go over then so be it. Some other guidelines are 8-8.5lb rifle only weight and 26-27 inch finished barrel length not including muzzle break. Would also like to see it shoot 0.5 moa or better because if not, whats the point. I have ideas on many of the components but let me know your thoughts, as many of you are way more knowledgeable than me.

1) Caliber: I am thinking 338 rum or 338 edge, but leaning towards 338 rum because I'm not sure with the 26-27 inch barrel I would gain much in the edge. I understand getting brass for either right now is a challenge.

2) Stock: Manners EH1. Like the look and the weight. Also read many good reviews.

3) Action: Borden Timberline Magnum or Stiller Predator.

4) Trigger: Jewell. Have one, love it.

5) Barrel: This is really where I can't decide. I know there are many good makers out there that would work fine as it is more the smith that puts it together, but I just get a little overwhelmed. The only custom barrels I have are Pac-nor. Like them but this is a little higher end build so I want to get it right by doing more research. I would like the capability to shoot 300 grainers and I need to take the rifle weight into consideration. Thinking 1 in 10 twist (not sure on type conventional, 5C, etc.), around 0.750 at the muzzle (like Lilja #6 or Broughton 5.5 Med Var. Sporter), 26-27 inch finished weight (not sure that extra inch going to 27 will really get me much).

6) Muzzle Break: DE 4 port but no experience. Will be shooting prone so that may need to be taken into consideration.

7) Bottom Metal: Like 700 style hinged floor plate but brand is the question?

8) Smith: Last but not least. Anyone recommend a good smith in Oregon or even Washington? Had work done by a few different guys but not set on anyone. I can do some of the small stuff but chambering, fitting barrel to action is out of my league I believe.

I'm sure I forgot something but figure this is a good start. I appreciate everyone's time and help. I value all opinions, even if they are not what I had in mind. If I am being unrealistic in any part of this build lets hear it.

Thanks you and good shooting,

Jeff
338-378 Weatherby , It's all about case capacity period , no one case better as far as velocity . Fast and Flat is the game . When you don't know the range and or wind you need speed.
Hence a 308 is a great round but not for hunting only at the range. Its a 0-200 yd hunting gun , like the 300 Blk out idea.
338 Kong works .
Do you want a range gun or hunting? 50 bmg works at 1000 rd range well hard to hunt with.

You will be hard pressed to have a bare rifle come in at 8 - 8.5 lbs. with anything much bigger than a #4 or 4.5 barrel, unless you have an extra lightweight stock (Manners or McMillan with the Edge fill). Neither will be inexpensive. What I usually do is buy my own parts, myself, as they come available. That seems to spread the cost out over a longer period of time. The cost of having the rifle put together is not nearly as bad as the parts cost. Also, no mark up on the parts (don't know if this is customary or not). That's how I normally do it. YMMV
bb204

You can build what your thinking for the price. I built a similar gun in 338 rum around 9lbs for under 2k. Used Remington action, brown precesion tactical stock, muzzle break, rifle basics trigger, Fluted #6ish barrel. Shoots 1/2-3/4 minute withSMKS or accubonds. Based the build to be similar to a sendero.

Any of the 338 rum, lapua, edge are a good choice. 300 grains hits like a Mac truck out of any, shooter makes the difference. Biggest thing is use a quality proven gun smith. I saved some money by buying all the parts myself and doing some of the easy stuff. Enjoy and good luck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 57
McMillan says the Edge stock I have ( Rem Hunter Edge mag fill) is only rated up to 300 Win mag. Has anyone used this stock on a 338 RUM without cracking the stock? I would assume with a good beding job and pillars and a muzzle brake it could handle it but maybe I'm wrong?? Would really like to know before I move forward with the build. Thanks

McMillan says the Edge stock I have ( Rem Hunter Edge mag fill) is only rated up to 300 Win mag. Has anyone used this stock on a 338 RUM without cracking the stock? I would assume with a good beding job and pillars and a muzzle brake it could handle it but maybe I'm wrong?? Would really like to know before I move forward with the build. Thanks

My 338 RUM is bedded in a McMillan Edge fill stock. It has a brake of course, and I've had no problems at all. It has quite a bit less recoil than a 300 win mag without a brake.

Last edited:
My edge has a #5 contour fluted barrel manners stock Borden action and jewel trigger with his pain killer muzzle break and I even put it in a scale and it was 6.8 pounds

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.