338 barrel advice?

7mmrowland

In need of a barrel for my 338 lapua ackley project. Any advise for a manufacturer, I would like a 4 groove 10 twist if anybody does one ? I know some barrel makers are better at specific calibers so does anybody accel in the 338?

I own rifles with barrels from several different builders (Krieger, Shilen, Lilja, etc). When I built my 338 Lapua I decided to try a Broughton, stainless 1:9.3 twist, 26" #7 contour. I went with the 1:9.3 twist based on Broughton's recommendation for 300 grain bullets at long range. The first 5 shot group I fired with the rifle went into 0.2" CTC @ 100 yards--I was pretty happy! Since then the rifle has proven to be very consistent and about the most accurate rifle I own. I realize there are other variables involved here and I have only one Broughton barrel so a statistical certainty this does not make, but if I was going to build another one you can bet I would be calling Broughton! Besides that, I received great customer service from them, very helpful and an on-time delivery. Food for thought.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.