338-300RUM Rogue and pix

308 nate

I'm going to keep this as short as possible as it is getting late.

My personal 338 rogue is finally ready for some long range hunting.

First rifle make-up:

Lawton 7500 1.45 dia. with an SSG bolt knob and a Holland recoil lug.

Rifle Basix trigger.

Broughton 5C with a 9.3 twist, 32" finish length and fluted with eight 5/16" flutes by SSG.

"Xtream" V port muzzle brake by SSG

McMillan A4 molded in 50 black, 30red, 20 green. with accessory rail and saddle cheek piece. inletting and pillar bedding done by SSG.

30MOA Lawton base.

IOR 6-24X50 with exposed turrets and MP8 reticle mounted with IOR 35mm rings.

I fire formed some cases about 2 weeks ago and the rifle was shooting very well.

I finally got my dies made over the weekend and took her out this morning to see what she could do. The load I tested was Nosler brass, federal 215 primers, 95 grains of H1000, topped off with a 300grain SMK.

I ran some over my crony while shooting a 3-shot group at 100 yds.
The crony says I'm getting 2920 FPS. with an ES in the low teens.

When I got this barrel from Broughton he told me it had quite a curve to it when it came out of the oven, he told me to index the curve so that it would come out on the top. I did this and now my 30 MOA base is too much ( it was perfect for my 7MM barrel that goes on this same rifle) info on the 7mm barrel to come at a later date, but I will say it is equally impressive.
so to shoot at 100yds. I am shooting 3.5 mil. under. I punched the numbers into my computer and it told me to hold approx. .75 mils. under my 600 yd. target. I headed out and let one fly at the 600 yd.steel target, (If you are wondering about the little dimples on the target it is made of AR400 and it stands up very well! ( it comes really close to punching a hole through my mild steel coyote at 600 yds.) My first shot landed perfect elevation, but the wind took it a little. Shot number two I did not see any increase in my paint chip, but heard a good report come back. Shot number three opened my paint chip up slightly. Well I excitedly made my way down range with the camera to take some pixs. I managed to put three shots just under 2 inches at 600 yds. I will also say both groups were fired at 12 power as I was using the true mil. value of the reticle for hold unders. Then my day got even better when I fired a customers 6.5WSM ultra light weight rifle I just finished building and managed to shoot a 1.5" three shot group on my steel coyote at 600 yds. I won;t go into the 6.5WSM right now ,but do have plenty of info and when I have some time I will share my findings on that one.

Well, enjoy the pixs and thanks for letting me share my exciting day...........

308nate

3-shots at 100yds.
3387.jpg

3-shots at 600yds.
3385.jpg

3386.jpg

Nice! Oh, and keep in mind you can crank the scope up to 24X and just double your dope (hold 1.5 Mils instead of .75) if you ever feel like it.

Last edited:
Very very nice , whats it weigh? with that break the recoil mush be pretty mild huh?

I realy like the flutes , the number of flutes with the size makes for good look.

Jon A,
You are right on. funny the things that a guy forgets. I had it at 24X when I went to shoot the 100 yd. target and needed a whole 3.5 mil under at 24X I would have had to hold 7mil under and my scope only has 5 mil up so I turned her down to 12 and it never occured to me to turn her back up....Thanks for the reminder

Nate

Last edited:
slopehunter,
Thanks for the compliment on the stock. I was a little nervous about how it would look when I ordered it, but I really liked how it turned out.

Very very nice , whats it weigh? with that break the recoil mush be pretty mild huh?

I realy like the flutes , the number of flutes with the size makes for good look.

James,
Thanks for the compliment on the rifle.
It is a pleasure to shoot. Recoil is VERY mild.... meaning I can watch my hits at 600, but just barely. The rifle is quite heavy. I haven't actually put it on a scale. I suspect it is close to 20 lbs. I believe I removed 1.75 lbs when I fluted it.

Nate

P.S I'll put it on a scale and get you anexact weight ASAP.

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle Nate, and an outstanding group.

Please explain the part about the barrel curvature and indexing it like that. Why wouldn't Broughton straighten it before he sent it? We laymen don't understand these things.

lewisH,
Thanks for the compliment.
In my personal findings here is what I feel it takes to make an accurate barrel.....

I will start with the part of the smith, I feel that it is extremly important that the chamber follow the bore exactly. It is also important that the smith checks the barrel for it's natural curve, this can be done by cleaning the barrel and looking through it (you can not tell by looking at the outside of the barrel) if there is a noticable curve it should be indexed either up or down (preferable up) so you don't have to continually adjust your windage as your range increases.

A curved barrel versus a perfectly straight barrel both have extreme accuracy potential, what makes a barrel bad is inconsistant bore diameter, meaning tight spots early on in the barrel or oversized spots which allow the gas to escape by the bullet in the barrel.

crooked chambers also lead to inaccurate barrels, irratic twist changes, bad crowns and stress.
Stress causes a barrel to move as the temperature changes. To straighten a curved barrel I feel would imply stress back into the barrel. It can be stress relieved again, but may move back.

Tim told me over the phone that the barrel was straight before it went into the oven. He inspects every barrel that leaves his shop and told me that when it came out of the oven it had curved and was right on the edge of what he will release. Tim North is one of the reasons I use Broughton barrels. He will not lie to you and is a wealth of knowledge. He stands behind his barrels 100% and if I had any problems he would replace the barrel and gave me another barrel for my troubles in a heart beat. I will also add that I have never had to send a barrel back to him due to accuracy problems. You will also not find a more stress fee barrel than a Broughton due to his stress releaving process.

Curves are common with all well known barrel makers. I won't mention any barrel maker names, but I have seen some barrels worse than this released from top barrel makers .

I agree, If I could pick I would pick a perfectly straight barrel, but you must remember even a straight barrel sags when held horizontal. There are ways to mount your scope and levels to help compensate for spin drift and barrels leaving the receiver slightly left or right.

I hope this all makes sense and will also say I am continually in a learning process myself. I will say consistant day to day hits on small targets at 1,000yds. is easier talked about than done :D and I very much admire those that are doing it...... as for me I'm still working on it ;)

308nate

Last edited:
338 Rogue

Have mine completed and it is doing well ... do not usually measure fireforming shots .... but at less than 0.30 MOA with SMK 250's hard not to ...

28" Ted Gaillard 1 in 10 Fluted SS #5 Match barrel
Holland Bolt Handle & Recoil lug
Holland style Muzzle Brake (without bottom ports to avoid dust when prone)
Remington 700 BDL
Lone Wolf Stock - Pillar Bedded, Bedded Barrel Channel
Gracoil Recoil Reduction System with KickEez Pad
Gracoil Adjustable Cheek Piece
Leupold 8.5-25 X 50 Long Range with M1 Turrets and TMR Reticle

Really like it.... Not sure how to post a picture .... LRB
thanx for your past help

308Nate, you have a beautiful rifle. I too like the color combo you picked.

What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.