338/300 RUM reamer recomendation

lazylabs

Does anyone have a proven design from kiff that they are willing to share. I would prefer something with a fairly long throat and a tight but no turn neck. If you have a PPG number or print number that would save me a lot of work. Thanks

I get mine cut with no throat cut and use a throater to set it where I want. The neck you want for 300 rum brass to Edge is .369", snug no turn if that is what you want. If you want hte throat cut simply expand a piece of brass make a dummy round and send it to him. Dave is a good guy to work with and has several sets of 338 Edge prints.

i hate to do this, but i'm going to respectfully disagree with Shawn. of course he has about 100 times more experience with this than i do, but i'll tell you about my "one" example. when i was ordering a reamer for this cartridge, i wanted a no turn neck, and i was told that loaded rounds with the edge, without turning the necks, would be about 365. i ordered a 368 neck and when i measured my Rem brass with a 300SMK in it, it was 368, and yes it was pinching when attempting to chamber. wasn't a big deal, i just take the high spots off so my loaded rounds are 365 and it works well. my point is i consider 369 a little "too tight" for a no turn neck with an edge. again this is my "one" experience but it's been the same with 2 different lots of Rem brass.

Dave Kiff sent me reamer print # 12229 when I ask for a no turn neck. The print shows the neck to be .3714

I use 375 rum brass necked down and loaded with a 300 gr. smk my neck diameter is .366, so Shawns .369 chamber worked out great for not having to neck turn my brass.

It's interesting the 375 base cartridge appears to have thinner necks... The two test rounds I loaded in rem brass were .3675. I was actually hoping the 375 brass would produce much thicker necks so I could go with .370 and if the 300 brass was too "loose" I could use 375 and turn the necks if necessary. Does anyone else have neck numbers using 375 brass? How about overall length to keep 250 SMK seated around the base of the neck? Thanks for the replies so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.