308w, Sierra 110gr HP, ??gr Varget

ochadd

Looking for some data/recommendations on how much Varget or Benchmark I should start with. Shooting a Savage 10fp.

Loaded 20 rounds last night:
47.5 grains Varget
COAL of 2.6
Win Cases
Win LR primer

Should give me 3100fps but I'm kicking myself for not starting off at 46 or so. The case looked pretty **** full of powder so it has me a little nervous.

I'm pretty new to reloading and this is the first time I haven't used a load straight out of a loading manual so if someone could chime in if this is a safe load or not it's appreciated.

Thanks

You can't get enough Varget in a .308 case to give pressure problems with a 110 grain bullet...

I'd use Benchmark, but I don't have any access to Benchmark data with that bullet. Here is IMR's page (which is owned by Hodgdon now)... http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/308win-2005apr03.php

Their 3031 is close in burn rate to Benchmark, so the starting numbers should be fine. Not sure about the max though. Give Hodgdon a call and see what they offer...

Dan

Thanks.

One more question.

My brother showed me how to reload and the steps to take on brass that was already fired. I bought some new Winchester brass and resized and loaded a batch. Today while browsing Midway I noticed they say Chamfering is a necissary step with new brass. I now relize what the drill bit looking piece on my bench is for but is this a mandatory step before I go shooting? Should I pull the bullets to chamfer and deburr?

Thanks again

If you've already loaded the cases, don't worry about it. Chamfering does help keep the case from stripping jacket material off the bullet (inside chamfer) and on the outside, it's of less importance.

Just be sure to chamfer the cases when you go to reload them next time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Excellent. I may have got a little carried away but I loaded 6 different bullets and atleast 2 different velocities per bullet. 240 rounds total and then I started reading online. Was hoping I wasn't going to have to go back and redo everything.

Thanks again.

i don't know any loading data, but my brother shoots a 125 gr sierra out of an 18" barrel in 308 and it is a perfect combo for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts