.308 Winchester - Remington Mod 700 VLS (Varminter Laminated Stock) - 26" Bullbarrel

M Rosslee,
The minimum velocity for a 155.5 grain bullet to be still super sonic at 1000 yards is 2950fps. So first you have to see If you can get to that velocity node that is at or above the 2950 threshold. I personally find my seating depth accuracy node first because of its affect on powder capacity and pressure. Then I work the load up to find the accuracy velocity node I need to get whatever job i need done with the bullet. In a Hunting rifle this MAY result in a cartridge that will not fit or cycle through the magazine. With a target rifle , since most are single shot , its not an issue. I have no idea what Remington had in mind when developing the rifle. If they did I would guess it would involve their loaded .308 ammunition. Since it seems you are not going in that direction it should not make any difference. Every rifle is a law unto itself. Its up to us to find the load/bullet it likes and to hone our skills to take the most advantage of our work. Break the rifle in as it is to see if you even like it before you do any modifications. If you can find loaded FEDERAL .308 MATCH ammunition loaded with the 168 grain bullets that would be great ( but expensive) break in ammunition that would also give you some indication of the rifles potential.

Thank you kindly for your time and positive feedback. It is really appreciated.

Last couple of years I've been testing at 200yds (182m). This shows me the potential of my loads more than at 100yds (91m). I'm glad I can help. Been a while since I've posted anything of value on here. ;-)

Thanks for the awesome comments. Reminds you of the spirit shared by hunters and shooters alike. Regardless of the continent we find ourselves on.

Thanks for the awesome comments. Reminds you of the spirit shared by hunters and shooters alike. Regardless of the continent we find ourselves on.
Amen to that! I like sharing any knowledge I have. It's fun. My cousin and I like to pull up a chair, crack a bottle of beer and talk guns and all things hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts