308 using LT32 Powder

Caddo Lawman

A friend sold me some Lt32 powder and said it worked well for the 308. I like Varget, but beggars can't be choosers and I bought what was available. i loaded 40.5 gr in Lapua brass w 210 primers and 185 Berger Juggernauts, .001 off the lands. i was shooting a Savage 10BA. I could not measure my 3 shot group at 100 yds because the group was one small hole. i was then concerned about the bullet entering the trans sonic zone at 1000 yds because the chrony was Not working.
Man was i impressed. My dope was 31 moa, which according to the JBM calculator meant the mv was 2725 and the bullet stayed above 1.2 mach at 1000 yds. LT 32 is a fast burning powder. It would cause my AR to short cycle, but it iworked great great in a bolt gun for the 308.
Be careful and start with 35 gr and slowly work up, keeping an eye out for excessive pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.