.308 Norma calabre?

kc

Do any of you guys have one, owned one or know anything about this calibre?
I am one of the guys who looks for good deals on rifles to hand down to my kids.
I found a Springfield that has well over $1500 invested into it. the stock is like knew
real good condition as for a sporterized Springfield, lots of invested work she is
sweet,Douglas Barrel. 3x9Bushnell and an asking price of $425.00.
I may pick it up? its at Williams gun sight in Davison mi.

Talk to me please.

The .308 Norma Mag. will do anything a .300 Win. Mag will. Only available brass or ammo that I know of is Norma. Cases can be made and fire formed from 7MM Rem Mag. brass. Many Springfields , Mausers, and U.S. 1917's/ Pattern 1914's were used as this caliber fits that action/magazine box easily. Watch those sporterized military actions, many have their scope base mounting screw holes not drilled on center or have been "Swiss Cheesed".

I got ya! I have been doing my home work on getting Brass/Dies and all the good things.
I made a mistake! there is no scope and was never drilled I thought there was, a friend there called back and told me I was wrong.
the stock is a Winchester design..The brass is the same price as the Remington UMS Action.
Its expencive..the bolt was never changed and it has open sights and it was jewled.
I just love finding Springfields people have invested lots of money into.
At the way the economy is going they are dumping rifles like this, I bet the owner had tears in his eyes when he sold this one.
I would like to send some pix but dont understan directions with my meds very well.
A friend at G Mountain told me they have been getting lots of Rifles people are dumping cheap.
He told me its just a .300 Magnum when all the paper work is done. I did find Dies and lots of brass from a guy at the Range I shoot at, he told me don't wory about the brass he has collected well over 1000 enpty cases. two coffee cans full they just need to be cleaned up.

I realy think serious about this..SHHHHHHH! da wife don't know!
I may need some help sending photos.

I don't know if it's the economy or 'generational' change. Most youngsters today would rather have a X-Box than Grandpas' old hunting rifle, especially if it's built on an 'ole' military action. If they are into 'guns' it's a AR, SKS, AK-47, sniper rifle of some sort, or it has to be an Ultra Mag . All one has to do is look at the on-line auction sites and it doesn't take long to realize prices are not coming down (AR/semi auto military look alike 'bubble' excluded here), some have raised a a bit. Ya, if you look long and hard enough you'll find a bargin. The big box hunting stores are just not the place to sell or buy a rifle, IMO. The deal on the Springfield you're eye balling is the caliber, I think. Most of my loading manuals have it listed, but the newest is 10 years old. Don't know if its listed in the new manuals or not. And, ya' cann't buy Norma ammo at WalMart, that's a real deal breaker for many. Grab it up if it's the one you want.

The 308 norma is an excellent cartridge with same ballistics as the 300 win mag in a shorter case. Virtually the same thing as the 30-338 winchester which was a very popular wildcat for 1000 yard shooting 20 or so years ago. 338 winchester brass can be necked down for it. If you like the rifle the cartridge is excellent.

I undestand what your saying...I have been seeing a shoot full of rifles that are being brought in and sold becaus of the family's need to eat,or pay bills, people around here as for what I see have been holding there rifles to use as a investment, but there not getting what they payed for it and what they have invested in it. Many friends who are rifle loonies are jumping on rifles that people have invested lots of money into, this is one, the stock alone is worth a good $400.00.
I can pull the Barrel and have a .300MAG or a.270 in no time.. I have some friends who do gunsmithing and can fit a new calibre in no time. I still have my 7MAG in there shop but I am in no hurry. Rod (one of my friends) bought a Remington ADL in .270 for $300 and its not hot
he gets good buys at pawn shops he knows.

Hey, I have a .308 Norma on a 1917 Enfield action. Hart barrel and it shoots around 1/2" with Barnes 168gr TSX, WLRM, 72.5 gr H4831SC, Win .338 Brass necked down to .308. It's the easiest way to make brass, but the neck ends up a little short, which is no big deal. I have never tried using 7mm Mag brass, but I have another rifle in 7mm so using .338 WM brass keeps me from accidentally mixing up ammo.

It will blow those .338 necks forward too so there is more case capcity than the .338.

I have a bunch of .300 WM brass I was always going to convert, but that involves running them through the norma FL die, and trimming.

Mine has a 1" decelerator pad and a thumbhold stock so the kick is not bad IMO. I built it for a replacement of a .300 WM I sold a few years back, and I wanted something for big game Like Elk, Moose, etc.

Here is a photo of the .338 brass conversion.
Left to Right, New .338 WM brass, Necked down to .308, Formed case, Norma case with longer neck.

That is the only down side to using the .338 brass is the shorter neck.
attachment.php

Last edited:
not knowing the throat and twist rate in the barrel, let me say that the Norma handles 200 grain+ bullets better than the Winchester due to the correctly designed neck. Cases can be formed from a lot of different kinds of brass, depending on how hard you wanta work at it (the 7mm case is probably the best starting point)
gary

I realise that this thread has been inactive for a bit, but I don't get here often.

I have a .308 NM built on a FN Mauser 98 action. The rifle is a full custom built by a craftsman gunsmith in 1980 who is no longer in the gunsmithing business, he's retired I think.

It's an awesome calibre and, although now largely obsolete, well worthy of a place in any serious hunter's gun cabinet. It is what the .300 WM should have been. It better suits the reloader than the .300 WM due to the latter's short neck. The .308 NM needs a few less grains of powder to produce the same velocities and is therefore more efficient.

Rifle_12_Cropped.jpg

I realise that this thread has been inactive for a bit, but I don't get here often.

I have a .308 NM built on a FN Mauser 98 action. The rifle is a full custom built by a craftsman gunsmith in 1980 who is no longer in the gunsmithing business, he's retired I think.

It's an awesome calibre and, although now largely obsolete, well worthy of a place in any serious hunter's gun cabinet. It is what the .300 WM should have been. It better suits the reloader than the .300 WM due to the latter's short neck. The .308 NM needs a few less grains of powder to produce the same velocities and is therefore more efficient.

Rifle_12_Cropped.jpg

boy that's a pretty rifle! I love the checkering job!
gary

.308 Norma Mag, is the original belted magnum. It was designed for converting military 30-06 actions to belted mag 30 cal.

My Dad and Grandpa had a pair, my Grandmother had made up for them on Mouser '98s.

They used 71gr of IMR 4831, behind 165 spbt sierras. Many elk died over the years.

The brass lasted over 20yrs of reloading. There were lots of it lost out hunting, and finally started splitting. Had to make some up out of 300 win mag brass, not a big deal. The Norma brass is rediculous in price, and a 20rnd box goes for $60 or so off the shelf.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.