308 deer thug ammo

pgohil

HELP! got 2 boxes of federal "DEER THUGS" 308 165 gr bonded soft point ammo given to me, but I cant find any load data on it. I need the BC and velocity. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

PD Gohil

Has anyone found more information about the Deer Thug ammo? I bought some the other day in Walmart and was surprised at how well it shot out of my 700 SPS. I'm getting sub 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards and 2" 5 shot groups at 200 yards. I have not found any ballistics data on this. When I compare it to the Fusion ammo, the ballistics don't match. Out of my 24" barrel, it's dropping 2-1/2" at 200 yards. Fusion states that it drops 4" at 200 yards.

Overall I am very pleased with the ammo and you can't beat the price!

Does anyone else have any experience with it?

Forgot to mention that Federal states the Fusion ammo is traveling 2700 fps at the barrel. I measured the spread of the Deer Thug ammo from 2592 to 2655. Doesn't make sense that a slower bullet drops less.

I would hazard a guess that the velocity and ballistic coefficient would be very close to the Federal Fusion ammo for that caliber and bullet weight. It should say what the ballistics are on the box, if I recall the boxes I glanced at when I was in Walmart last night. You might take a look here, just fyi.
http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=654
Let us know how it shoots.

I believe you will find the "Deer Thug" ammo to be the Speer DeepCurl bullet, a flatbase, you can check those BC's though they look inflated, esp. the 25 cal., maybe not this 165.
Speer Bullets - Product Details

I believe that Speer makes the Fusion bullet too, but it is a Boattail, just made for Federal fusion ammo at this time.

No, the data doesn't make sense, but you would have to check your own vel & shoot at distance on your own anyway.

I believe you will find the "Deer Thug" ammo to be the Speer DeepCurl bullet, a flatbase, you can check those BC's though they look inflated, esp. the 25 cal., maybe not this 165.
Speer Bullets - Product Details

I believe that Speer makes the Fusion bullet too, but it is a Boattail, just made for Federal fusion ammo at this time.

No, the data doesn't make sense, but you would have to check your own vel & shoot at distance on your own anyway.

On a side note, I think that name is a bad idea, yes I know who it's named after, but question the value for image.

As far as what the ballistics say on a box of factory ammo go it is worth nothing to you. I have found that ammo makers exaggerate these figures greatly, plus they use pressure test barrels that have tighter chambers and usually have much longer barrels than average rifles. The only way to know what the ballistics are is to shoot the ammo in your rifle over a chronograph to find the real velocity and shoot at the distances you will be using to confirm the drop with all the same lot number ammo. If you change lot number of ammo then very often your data will change. That is the reason that you should hand load and get as much of the same lot numbers of powder, bullets, primers and cases as you can afford. Consistency is the name of the game for accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.