308 16" barrel

Knight

Does anyone reload for 308 using in a bolt gun with a 16" barrel. This configuration is new to me. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to find out what would be a good choice for load development with a 308 bolt gun and a 16 "barrel.

Distance for shooting, what you might be shooting and/or minimum objective requirements for starters. I load from 110-185gr in 308win and barrel lengths from 12.5-26", all being 10 twist. Except 1 has m118 chamber 11 twist 22"

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to find out what would be a good choice for load development with a 308 bolt gun and a 16 "barrel.
Do you know your barrel's twist rate? That'll determine the bullet weight you'll want to start with. Most factory barreled actions were 11.25 or 12 twists, but on some of the later offerings from Remington when they collaborated with AAC they put a 10 twist on there. I have had great success with 10, 11.25, and 12 twists using 168 grain bullets, and because I'm cheap, I like the Amax from Hornady (or whatever red tipped bullet they are making now). But with the 308, there a A LOT of options so you shouldn't have a problem finding something that works.

I also like Lapua brass and Fed 210 or 210M primers, but for primers you basically need to use whatever you can find in today's market. I'm an IMR 4895 fan for powder, but again a lot of options here- it's just what I started using for 308 many many years ago and it's what I've stuck with.

I have 2 30cals with 8 twist and most with 10, but 1 308 with 11 (m118 chamber). The only bolt guns I have are 3 300wm w/9, 9.35 and 10 twist, so factory 308win in BA I have no clue on twist? I've trying to determine what he has also? 12 or slower will have a limit for sure with some up to 180gr, but most down to 168. Heavier fmj's can be heavier due to being shorter in a 12 twist.

My factory 12T R700 started as 26 varmint stainless fluted, I cut ot to 20 then to 16-1/2. I only shoot M118 LRs with 175 SMKs through it. For reference the velocity dropped from 2600 in the 20 inch barrel to 2500 in its present configuration, rounding the numbers. You should be able to duplicate that velocity or close to it for precision node.

Supers? Subs? Purpose? 16" 308 is pretty much just like loading for longer 308 just won't get as much mv-- twist will matter if you want to shoot heavies . I have both an AR and bolt in 16"

As has been mentioned here, please post your specs, and use. I could give you my load info, but at best it would work for you. Most likely, it will be a bench point for you. All barrels like what they like, you have to figure out what what it wants.

I know my AR15 16" semi happens to like the same load I developed for my 24" hand built long distance rifle (1000+). There was a study conducted a long time ago at Camp Perry about this subject. Look it up, it is very interesting what they learned. I was surprised that I found the same results later in life.

Does anyone reload for 308 using in a bolt gun with a 16" barrel. This configuration is new to me. Any suggestions is appreciated.
YES...Mine is just under 16"
Load for it like you would a longer barrel.
Varget, CFE 223, and H-4895 is what I have used in 14", 14.5, and 15.75 inch barrels.
It shoots great at distance as well.
I am using 155's right now, but typically use 168's.
It shoots good at 500 yards.
9spVCqrl.jpg

A friend using it for WY-SHOT

I haven't loaded for mine yet. Just been using factory stuff. Has a 16.25" barrel and is suppressed. It's what I carry most of the time for shooting does and culls. A lot of my paying hunters end up shooting it as well. It's an old Savage Model 10 Carbine. It started out with a 20" barrel but I had it cut to 16.25" so it would be easier to handle with the suppressor. It REALLY likes 150gr Cor Lokts, and 150gr Winchester SP's. I wouldn't be able to load anything more accurate than these, although I'm sure I could bump the velocity up some. For what this gun is used for (most shots are under 350 yards), it works fantastic.

Do you know your barrel's twist rate? That'll determine the bullet weight you'll want to start with. Most factory barreled actions were 11.25 or 12 twists, but on some of the later offerings from Remington when they collaborated with AAC they put a 10 twist on there. I have had great success with 10, 11.25, and 12 twists using 168 grain bullets, and because I'm cheap, I like the Amax from Hornady (or whatever red tipped bullet they are making now). But with the 308, there a A LOT of options so you shouldn't have a problem finding something that works.

I also like Lapua brass and Fed 210 or 210M primers, but for primers you basically need to use whatever you can find in today's market. I'm an IMR 4895 fan for powder, but again a lot of options here- it's just what I started using for 308 many many years ago and it's what I've stuck with.
Thank you for that informative information. To you question, I used to Shoot A 700 Remington 308 5R 20 " barrel with a 11:25 twist. I was very satisfied with the results in its performance however it was a heavy rifle so I sold it. I now own a Christensen MPR in 308 with a 16" barrel 1:10 twist and starting all over again developing a load for this rifle. All my brass is Lapua and for primers it's Federal 210 M.

Thank you for that informative information. To you question, I used to Shoot A 700 Remington 308 5R 20 " barrel with a 11:25 twist. I was very satisfied with the results in its performance however it was a heavy rifle so I sold it. I now own a Christensen MPR in 308 with a 16" barrel 1:10 twist and starting all over again developing a load for this rifle. All my brass is Lapua and for primers it's Federal 210 M.
Hunting or target? What intended distance and if hunting- what ?

Pretty much pick a bullet you like and load like any other 308w. I've found that short barrels seem to like the same things and standard barrels.

I load 125, 130, 150, 152,165, 166,178, even 215s and 195 and 220gr subs for mine ---- it's just like any other rifle in regards to reloading.