308 - 150gr or 165gr for 'Lopes

BrentSte

Planning my first ever antelope hunt in Wyoming next year. My son will use his 243 with 100gr PP's. I know it may be a bit overkill, however, want to use my 308. Mostly for sentimental reasons, but also because I love shooting it.

My question is, do I opt for the 150gr bullet or go with 165 for less wind drift? The rifle shoots both equally well up to my ability so accuracy isnt an issue. I am looking for the best downrange performance.

Planning my first ever antelope hunt in Wyoming next year. My son will use his 243 with 100gr PP's. I know it may be a bit overkill, however, want to use my 308. Mostly for sentimental reasons, but also because I love shooting it.

My question is, do I opt for the 150gr bullet or go with 165 for less wind drift? The rifle shoots both equally well up to my ability so accuracy isnt an issue. I am looking for the best downrange performance.

Nothing wrong with the .308 Win for turbo goat.. you might think about the Berger 155 gr Match Grade VLD Hunting if your a hand loader.
If not, there are a few good 150gr out there. Nothing wrong with 165gr's it's just my pick of the bunch.
Good luck

Have to agree with 436. Berger 155's are outstanding and very accurate out of my rifle.

I will be heading out for speed goats in a few weeks. Will try to get some good pictures of performance and post them here.

Good luck

As usual, the answer 'depends'. It depends on how far you are comfortable shooting. In Wyoming the wind is fierce but fairly constant. If you plan on shoot out to 600 (and beyond) go with the 168. If you're going to be 500 and closer, go with 150.

To be more precise, take a look at the trajectory and wind drift of each. You will see that at the closer distances the speed of the 150 will have it winning over the 168. Then at some point the higher BC of the 168 will overtake the 150. It's at that distance that is the decision maker. If you're only going to shoot that far, go with 150. If you're going to shoot farther, go with 168.

Antelope are not especially tough animals. Make a good hit in the chest and they will go down.

Be safe, good luck and have fun.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

Trebark, has some good points.. if your planing on reaching "way out", and as he said; goats are not hard to kill, an if you get a good bullet into the clockworks'.., he's yours. So if your going to try a longer shot, especially in the wind you might want to think about the 175gr VDL's or off the shelf box of Federal or Black Hills in that bullet (Sierra MK) for your hunting load. I've used the 175gr bullets for years in 1k tactical match .308 Win of mine, I like them. Any of the match ammo, of that weight and style sold in the stores is capable if fine accuracy out of near any .308 Win rifle.
Cheers

Thanks for the info guys!

Being a Southeastern Swamp Hunter who rarely shoots over 100-150 yds. I am sure my proficiency wont allow me much past the 300 yd mark. Nowhere around here I know of for a civilian to shoot any farther to practice.

I am learning lots reading the information you guys offer up and am intrigued and impressed by your skill to even be able to contemplate shots that far!

Maybe one day, when I grow up, I will dive off into this Long Range Shooting passion you guys have!

Thanks for the info guys!

Being a Southeastern Swamp Hunter who rarely shoots over 100-150 yds. I am sure my proficiency wont allow me much past the 300 yd mark. Nowhere around here I know of for a civilian to shoot any farther to practice.

I am learning lots reading the information you guys offer up and am intrigued and impressed by your skill to even be able to contemplate shots that far!

Maybe one day, when I grow up, I will dive off into this Long Range Shooting passion you guys have!

This is new information. If you're going to hold your shots to inside 300, then it's an easy decision to shoot the 150s.

Good luck.

Sir shoot what you have DOPE for, they are small animals thin skinned, I use 308 168 grain and 6.5 grendel 123 grain, thay both kill great and at extended ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.