300WM - 200 gr ELDX - RL-26?

Muddyboots

Ok, I was expecting a little more velocity with RL-26 but not there yet. Max load from Alliant is 74.0 grains. I ladder tested right up to 74.0 by 0.3 each round from 70 just to get a feel for the powder. Maxed out the 74 gr at 2945 fps. Absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Primer nice rounded edge, no ejector bright spots, bolt easy normal lift. I did not loaded above the max 74.0 but now I wished I had done so. I also ladder tested the 200AB right up to 74 and same thing. Nice rounded primer, no nada etc.

BTW - Sendero 26" barrel.

Anybody else using RL-26 with 200 ELDX or 200 AB? How much further past 74.0 did you go or when did you see pressure?

I think I am now doing another ladder starting at 73.0 and sealing off at 75.0?
Thoughts with RL-26 versus load data?

your rifle is likely not the rifle they tested with. things are different.
you were correct to test as you did.
what velocity were you expecting ?
( i get 2913 with a 230 berger seated out past 3.6" in MY RIFLE 26.5 bbl)
I would do a ladder in .5 steps up to about 102% case fill
BUT stop shooting when you see pressure signs.

I shot 74.2 Re26 and 215 Bergers with no issues, but I am throated for the Bergers. Every powder I have tried has gone past published max charges with no issues.

I very rarely exceed book loads and I was a bit surprised by results since 72.5 gr RL-22 shows a smidgen of bright marks on base at 2945 fps but it shoots extremely well. Why change? RL-26 stated to be more stable temp powder and little more velocity etc. My ladder test got me to my RL-22 load 2945 fps velocity so it is successful from one perspective I have duplicated velocity I wanted as min with a more stable powder but still need to see how it papers out on distance. I actually was thinking it would be nice to get closed to 3K fps but it is what it is so far. Once this rain gets out of here next couple days, I will extend ladder test just to see where pressure might start plus paper some loads at the 74.0 to see what accuracy is there. Always appreciate comments big, bad or ugly.
Thanks,
Muddy

Muddy
You might try RL-23 it is closer to the RL-22 burn speed and much more temp stable. I think you will have good results with it. I personally would test RL- 26 on up the ladder a bit. I just finished a load test with RL-26 in My 6.5 SAUM and found the best accuracy to be at the top.

You can load up past the published Max in the books, just stop shooting at the first sign of pressure (usually a sticky bolt lift) and pull all the Bullets of any at or above that charge. EVERY Rifle is different. If someone is loading to the ragged edge of pressure, it's ill-advised to drop his Cartridge in your gun and pull the trigger. This is a lesson I learned long ago with a 270 Win, a very sticky bolt lift and the spent primer on the shooting bench when I did get the bolt open. Oh, and if you eject a Cartridge from your rifle and the spent primer falls free onto the bench, you've already ignored many signs of excess pressure or shot someone else's Max Load!

sticky bolt is too late.
look at the cases
brass pushed in the bolt at the ejector hole is where you will see pressure. brass on the bolt face is from that hole shaving extruded brass.
look at bullet weight/bbl length and velocity.
there are view miracle bbls, tho you may see more than the factory says.

You can load up past the published Max in the books, just stop shooting at the first sign of pressure (usually a sticky bolt lift) and pull all the Bullets of any at or above that charge. EVERY Rifle is different. If someone is loading to the ragged edge of pressure, it's ill-advised to drop his Cartridge in your gun and pull the trigger. This is a lesson I learned long ago with a 270 Win, a very sticky bolt lift and the spent primer on the shooting bench when I did get the bolt open. Oh, and if you eject a Cartridge from your rifle and the spent primer falls free onto the bench, you've already ignored many signs of excess pressure or shot someone else's Max Load!

I got as high as 76.5 grains of RE26 under a 200g ELD-x in my 300WM, 3050fps but heavy pressure signs. Now I've backed off to 75g and see around 2950fps with good accuracy and only very lightly flattened primers so I'm thinking around 74.5g will probably be the everyday safe max in my rifle. Attached photo of brass with pressure signs YMMV

Attachments

• 2FC0380A-EB9A-49EF-A61B-8E486E1B17C4.jpeg
    2FC0380A-EB9A-49EF-A61B-8E486E1B17C4.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 281
Muddyboots, what cases and primers were you using? Also, what was your base to ogive measurement for then ELDX and NAB? How far off the lands?

Basic info: 0.010 off lands via ogive measurement (old Stoney Point system now Hornady) , Win brass (bought ton of it few years back when it was scarce) , Fed 215 primers. The rifle shoots exceptionally well and this was just a "I wonder" load test. The load I hunt with is the 72.5 gr RL-22 @ 2945 fps, 200AB, 0.010 off lands and it will hold well under an inch at 300 yds IF I don't drink coffee or pop for a week. I know WTH am I messing with it? Retired and always looking for the little extra out of it without screwing things up. I was just thinking RL-26 would be more stable powder across temps I hunt so this resulted in ladder testing. The range is empty this time of year so being retired, fun to go there and have it to myself with a chronograph not being a problem for someone else shooting there. I sometimes go to Indiana to hunt private land with it since some of the shots there can be 4-500 yards between hedgerows or 10,000' in CO hunting elk and mule deer. So it can be shot across some interesting temps. I just like the 200 gr pills in this rifle and it seems to like them the most for accuracy downrange.

Well aware of pressure signs and sticky bolt is well after when I would have shut it down and pulled rest of loads. My first go to is primers and then pressure marks on base. No need for me to go further when you have early signs to back off a smidgen. I prefer to be conservative in load development since I like my rifles......

What velocity are you getting?

I've only shot a couple groups at 400 and one group at 710. All 3 groups were under a half minute. I actually haven't chronographed that load yet. All I can tell you for sure is that my range chart is built on 2950fps(and verified) and this load impacts about 6" high at 710. Just started shooting RE26. Every powder I've tried hasn't shown pressure signs when loaded up to book max. Not sure why that is, but H-1000 was getting 3075 on magneto speed, but not good enough accuracy there, nor do I want to push it that hard since I'm at sea level and this rifle will see 5-8000' in the future. Just looking an accuracy node with reasonable speed. I already have an exceptional load with H-4831. I'm just trying to see if I can get the best of both worlds with the RE26.

Ok, I was expecting a little more velocity with RL-26 but not there yet. Max load from Alliant is 74.0 grains. I ladder tested right up to 74.0 by 0.3 each round from 70 just to get a feel for the powder. Maxed out the 74 gr at 2945 fps. Absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Primer nice rounded edge, no ejector bright spots, bolt easy normal lift. I did not loaded above the max 74.0 but now I wished I had done so. I also ladder tested the 200AB right up to 74 and same thing. Nice rounded primer, no nada etc.

BTW - Sendero 26" barrel.

Anybody else using RL-26 with 200 ELDX or 200 AB? How much further past 74.0 did you go or when did you see pressure?

I think I am now doing another ladder starting at 73.0 and sealing off at 75.0?
Thoughts with RL-26 versus load data?
Just my opinion but it's real. Anyone on this site that has worked with heavy equipment and cranes or hoisting equipment knows that they all come with manufacturers top load ratings. These ratings are stated with SAFETY in mind but are on average 10-20% below the actual lifting capacity.... the same is true with powder manufacturers and published load data especially in the U.S. where a person can be paid $1,000,000.00 for burning their mouth on a HOT COFFEE! Isn't that what hot means! Companies want you safe....but more importantly...they want to be safe too. But as always CAUTION IS THE KEY! Faster isn't always better especially in hand loading....that's why we see nodes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.