300win mag

The 150 gr bullet is a great deer bullet , it tend s to cause alot of damage unless its a well built bullet

One thing nice about the 300 is that you can load it down to the levels of a 30-06. So if you are going to use a 150gr bullet then you could run it around 2900fps and it should work good for you.

If going to use factory ammo then I would opt for at least a 165 or even a 180gr.The heavier bullet will stay together better than the 150's.

J,
The only problem w/ running a 150 in a 300WM is you realy can't slow them down. With that being said, if you like to hunt and like to shoot you probly will only get 800 rnds out of the rifle before the barrel goes away. I would think about running 180's at <3000 fps. That will reduce the wear on your barrel and take anything on the North American Continent (and quite a few others
wink.gif
). The Ballistics are good especialy if you shoot the Nosler BT or CTST bullets. If you keep them at < 3000 fps they don't exhibit the exploding bullet effect that BT's are famous for. I'm sure other bullets work as well but once I learned to slow down
rolleyes.gif
the Nosler BT's and CTST's Have become my go to hunting ammo.

Cheers
cool.gif

In my experience, 150 gr bullets from a .300 on deer tend to work like grenades. Lots of meat loss. Use a strong bullet, or a heavy bullet. I use 200gr. bullets and on shots of 200 yards, or less, on elk, they usually come apart and don't leave an exit hole. I have been using Sierra Gamekings, but this year I will be using Nosler Accubonds.

I don't know about 150 grain bullets in a 300 Win Mag.? Regardless of the quarry. If we look at some of the published data, say between a 300 Weatherby and 300 Winchester, the 165/168 grain bullets seem to be the nitch that shows the Winchester round to advantage, particularly for mule deer size game. Anyway, that's what I use. I favor the Nosler 168 for the longer ranges, and Hornady 165 flat base spire pt. for most other general conditions.

Good hunting. LB

I have taken several deer(white tail) with
Sierra 110 gr. .308 people it is not always
what you have but how you use it!!I'm going to say that bullet placement is the must crucial element in taking game.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.