300Rum Bullet Depth Test

baydog

Just wanted to show the results from the bullet depth test I did. I found that 4.000 is touching the Lanns so I loaded four rounds of 208gr A-max bullets with 93 gr of h1000 at .010 off the lanns which made it 3.990, then loaded 4 more with same bullet and same powder and charge at 3.950 and then loaded 4 more rounds sinking the bullet in .050 every four round until I got to 3.600. The gun was sighted in at 100 yards with 180gr nosler balistic tips and 83 grains of imr4350 with a COAL of 3.800. So with the gun sighted in at 100yard with the 180 nosler, 83 gr of 4350 I shot 4 rounds of eah of these depths with 208gr A-Max and 93gr of H1000 the depths were 3.990-3.950-3.900-3.850-3.800-3.750-3.700-3.650-3.600 From what I can tell the 3.800 is the COAL that looks the best and I believe to be the COAL that this gun seems to like. I posted these pictures so everyone could see the results because of all the help and questions I have asked and gotten help with. Does everone else agree that this test is a good way to find bullet depth and that 3.800 is the COAL to go with by looking at these pictures?. The first round black target is the gun sighted in at 100 yard with the 180 gr noslers. I didn't move or adjust the scope to do the test thats why the test results are all high and to the left. I was looking for a good group before I sighted the gun in again. Thanks for all your time and help.
Scotty

Attachments

• KIMG0578.jpg
    KIMG0578.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 60
  • KIMG0582.jpg
    KIMG0582.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 66
  • KIMG0583.jpg
    KIMG0583.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 71
Well, I'll start off by saying i'm not an expert. But what I would do is re-shoot the 3.800 load before you are set on that being your COAL. I would want to figure out if the flyer in that group was me or the load. If you then see something worth fine tuning, then maybe I would start working the bullet in or out .005 at a time to see if your groups improve. I've wasted a lot of time and money chasing my tail only to find out that my rifle didn't like the bullet that I wanted it to shoot.

Also, how did you arrive at 93g H1000 as your charge weight?

That's so funny...And another 300 RUM comes out at 3.8 for length. Why in hell did Remington make the mag to only 3.6. My gun is right at 3.8 aswell. I could probably go to the same length and get the same results. I'm burning retumbo though.

How did you come to settle on 93.0 grains of H1000? That seems about a grain or two hot for that combo.

Well, I'll start off by saying i'm not an expert. But what I would do is re-shoot the 3.800 load before you are set on that being your COAL. I would want to figure out if the flyer in that group was me or the load. If you then see something worth fine tuning, then maybe I would start working the bullet in or out .005 at a time to see if your groups improve. I've wasted a lot of time and money chasing my tail only to find out that my rifle didn't like the bullet that I wanted it to shoot.

Also, how did you arrive at 93g H1000 as your charge weight?

Thanks Ta406.
I plan on loading a few more rounds with the COAL at 3.800 and 3.900 to see if it's consistent. I'm pretty sure the flyer was me..lol.. or it's 3 to one odds that it was me but the proof is in the puddin..But I think I can narrow it down to 2 or maybe 3 depths now. So I'll be trying it out tomrrow. The powder charge Is a bit hot and I got that charge weight from starting at 83gr and working up. It is a bit hot but I have not seen any pressure signs and seems to shoot ok with that charge but like the bullet depth could use some fine tuning, To be honest I found that Retumbo and H1000 are a lot a like but thats just me I'm not suggesting that anyone should take that to heart. I'll start backing the charge down .5 at a time to try to tighten my group up. Thanks again for your help and I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Scotty

Baydog, it's LANDS & GROOVES, not LANNS.
Thankyou.

lightbulb

Sorry MagnumManic you're right. LANDS not LANNS..I was corrected a few years ago that it was LANNS and not LANDS but this time after reading your post I got off my butt and googled it and LANDS it is.. Google is one of the best tools I have...And youtube..:)
Scotty

That's so funny...And another 300 RUM comes out at 3.8 for length. Why in hell did Remington make the mag to only 3.6. My gun is right at 3.8 aswell. I could probably go to the same length and get the same results. I'm burning retumbo though.

Thanks Wachsman..Thats crazy ain't it..I have shot 180 grain nosler and 210 bergers and 3.80 seems to be the ticket and the berger 210 but i really think this gun likes to work hard..I think it would like the 230 just as much maybe more..I guess 3.60 gives Remy a warm fuzzy feeling..They could at least extented the mag box a little longer so we don't have to do it to get our longer lenghts or length " 3.80 " ..:D I like the Retumbo too..Don't really see a lot of diffrence between the H1000 or Retumbo but I'm sure there is some. I think Berger says H1000 is a little more accurate but the Retumbo has more ***!gun)

How did you come to settle on 93.0 grains of H1000? That seems about a grain or two hot for that combo.

Thanks brentc It may be a little hot at 93.0 gr. but see absolutly no pressure signs at all but gonna back it down .5 grain at a time and see what happens..started at 83.0 and worked up now I'll start back down to try n find that sweet spot..Thanks again
Scottylightbulb

I would not use IMR 4350...way too fast

Yea you're right Wedgy, 4350 is just too fast..But I shoot 4350 in the other 4 rifles I own but the only bullet this 300 seems to like is the 180gr with the 4350 but just seems to go out of wack after about 200 yard..Do you think it makes the bullet tumble after a few hundred yard cause of it's speed?
Tha nks
Scotty:cool:

Thanks brentc It may be a little hot at 93.0 gr. but see absolutly no pressure signs at all but gonna back it down .5 grain at a time and see what happens..started at 83.0 and worked up now I'll start back down to try n find that sweet spot..Thanks again
Scottylightbulb

I'm betting your brass is suffering. What is your velocity? Extreme spread?

I'd try dropping down to 89 and work up again with your best seating depth. Just my opinion though.

Just for comparison sake. The accuracy node for a 230 in the RUM is ~87.5 grains of H1000 in RP brass. Since you're using a 208 I'd expect your load to be around 90 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.