300h&h

Dave Schenck

Greetings,
I am in the process of building a 300H&H and would love a little input from you men in the know. This is my first long range build and it is a budget build but luckily I have good friends who are also gunplumbers and are helping. I have secured a very good condition P14 action and I am thinking of putting a 1:10 twist barrel on it to stabilise the 180gr bullets of my choice - probably Sierra Game King at this stage (open to suggestions) although the 175gr SMK is also catching my eye as is the 185gr Berger. I want to hunt out to 400m but also be able to put those closer shots home without too much meat damage if body shots are needed.
Is this the right twist? Is the 200gr bullets better? All advise so far says go for the 180gr bullets? I am new at this so any suggestions will add to my knowledge base.

Great choice! I don't have the load in front of me, but a case full of H4831, with a Federal 215 primer topped with a 200 grain Accubond will give 2900 fps, ( 26") with great accuracy and positive lethality. I shot mine out, and rebarreled to 338 RUM, and still suffer buyers remorse at times. Nothing wrong with the .338 RUM, collection just feels incomplete without a .300 H&H. I'm eyeballing a Ruger number # 1.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

While I personally don't own a .300 H&H, my best friend does and he loves his. His is a custom built off of a 98 Mauser Magnum action and has a Shilen 26" semi bull bbl on it. He's owned if for about 15 yrs and it has accounted for lots of game. It may be an old cartridge, it's still a good one.

He loads 165g, 180g and 190g bullets for it. I actually loaded him 100 rounds of 165g Swift Scricco II Bullets with 69g of IMR4350 and CCI250 primers, they were seated to fit his magazine. They clock at 3125fps and are a great load.

180g and 190g bullets use IMR4831 and you can't put enough powder in the case to over do it.

The 165g Sierra gamekings are also a good choice for this cartridge.

hope this helps,

Dan

Just managed to secure 180gr Accubonds at a drop dead price so bought 100 - tell me I have done the right thing. I am a Sierra man but I could not turn this down. How do they perform at magnum velocities and out to how far?

There are some loads on this site, if you google below.

Several months ago, Layne Simpson wrote an article on the 300 H&H in Shooting Times magazine. I don't remember the month. He listed some loads in the article.

Back around 1955, this cartridge won the 1,000 yard match at Wimbelton, England. When the 1,000 yard matches began at Williamsport, several 300 H&H cchambered rifles did well.

Great old cartridge!

Last edited:
I really like the 180 Accubonds in mine. . They are very accurate, and perform well on both short and long shots. I have a 50's vintage Model 70 Winchester that shoots very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts