300gr 338 Berger Elite Hunter - love when this happens

JTB

DE5B1710-1491-4BEB-9A6B-7D5509AF0356.jpeg
Had a calm day and a little time so I gave the 300gr Berger's a try in the Edge. I had already worked up loads for the 285 ELD-M with 91gr of Retumbo sighted at 300 yards so I backed off to 90gr and seated the 300s just deep enough to allow a loaded cartridge to eject without removing the bolt (I had already used the die grinder to create a little more clearance on the Savage action). Cleaned the barrel (heavy 27", 1:10 twist), loaded 5 rounds and headed to the range. For the 1st time I can remember the first three shot landed in the same hole at 300 yards with the initial load. Had a similar experience with the 7mm 195 EOL but I had already taken 5 shots from the new barrel at 100 yards before punching 3 in at 300. Velocity was 2850 and no heavy bolt lift. Fired the other 2 rounds at 1200 yards but couldn't follow the shots (little too much recoil) but they sounded like hits on steel. I have spent frustrating days changing powders/charges/seating depth etc., and it is nice to get a break every one in a while and find what you are looking for on the first try. Experiences like this keep me coming back and I know you understand how this makes the rest of the day seem a little better.

Love when this happens. I shoot an edge with 300 grain EH and accuracy is outstanding. I use H1000 and am at 2850 as well.

Love when this happens. I shoot an edge with 300 grain EH and accuracy is outstanding. I use H1000 and am at 2850 as well.
Wondering if others are having the same experience. Extremely unusual to put so little effort into finding this level of accuracy.

Bergers on the shelf ..a new 338 edge with a 30" proof going together. I will see how they perform!

The 300 EH is unreal accurate. My 338 RUM shoots them lights out at long range. When they expand they are devastating regardless of distance/velocity. I call them the "Hammer of Death".

But... I've had too many of them tumble and/or banana inside of animals, so I stopped using them. I've moved on to the 270 ELD-X, and I'm getting the same level if accuracy out to very long distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.