300g scenars or 250g AB

ozzie longshot

Hey guys just upgraded me .308 to a .338LM and would like some feed back on rnd selection. used the berger 185g VLD for hunting @ 700yrds in my .308 and rounds were still passing through tgts. Was thinking i might have the same trouble with the 300g scenars in my .338LM if i throw the odd shot. Has anyone used the 250g AB on deer at those ranges. Dont know whether or not to sacrifice the B.C of the 300g and juice up the loads for the 250g AB for those longer shots. If i throw a shot would like to know that the 250g bullet will expand on impact and not pass through. in saying that i will have to be more pricise with windage. most shots are from 700yrds +. any thoughts.

toy is a: 27'' MAB barrel 1:9
.338LM dropped in AICS stock

Cheers....

lol... cheers for that, suppose the 300g SMK would be the same as the 300g scenars then, in the way of bullet fragmenting. everyone has been raving about the 300g SMK as a hunting bullet but unless you hit bone you run the chance of bullet passing through and wounding,loosing your kill. but you never hear about those shots do ya lol.. Might try out the 250g AB then and wait for the bergers or noslers to hit our shelves and try them out. do you know when the nosler 300g is coming out & is it a HPBT.

thanks for the feedback Michael....

Ozzie,
What are you hunting at 700+yards?
If its goats or Pigs out on the Qld plains then range measurement might be a problem also in such flat country.
The 225gn Hornady Interbond has a tested B.C. of 0.525 and will rock out of that 27" barrel .338LM. Will open up fine on this type of game at long range.
This is the bullet I use out of my 27" .338 RUM at 3130 fps on sambar to extended range. This is the ballistic twin to your rifle.

mainly shooting deer and wild brumbies in hilly terrain and wind is always a problem. was looking for something with alittle higher B.C for those longer shots, michael informed me of nosslers 300g AB coming out in 2012 so im keen to give them a run.
how would a 225g go in a 1:9 barrel?
is that what yours is?

I used a 250 ab on an elk at 1202 this year recovered bullet weight 165 grains, broke spine just behind the scapula and was under the hide on off shoulder.
Only thing I don't like looking at the pic of the 300 ab it looks like the same old accubond, this one appears to have a LOOOONG bearing surface. They should have sculpted it a bit.

nice shot, sounds like the 250AB handled it fine out past the 1000 mark, dont know much about elk but presume they have a thick hide, especially at 1200yds. dont get elk around here. your right about the 300AB but will def give them a try when they come out, till then it sounds like the 250 will handle brumbies at those longer ranges fine.

now just need me toy to hurry up and arrive.......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.