300 WSM or 300WM for 215 Berger

CEB

In the middle of build and was planning to do 300WM to shoot 215 Bergers. Been doing some reading on 300WSM and the 215s and might change directions. Action is a Winchester 70 Long Action SS CRF. Any opinions on feeding issues and which cartridge you would go with? Specifically on accuracy, barrel life, recoil, velocity, etc. I already have dies and plenty of brass for both (have several WM and WSM already) so that isnt a factor. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I have both. They are both accurate. I get about 200 fps more out of the 300 WM. Although it has 3 more inches of barrel. If your rifle isn't set up right the 215 will take up some powder room in the case in the WSM.

With R-26 and the correct throat length a 300wsm will stay with a 300wm using H-1000. If you go to N-570 in the 300wm then it walks away from the wsm. Basically top speed for the win mag is 75fps or so more than a wsm.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.