300 wsm load help

SwMo

I have a Fierce edge 300 wsm and am in the process of working up loads. Currently loading Nosler brass at 2.900 with 200 grain hornady ELD X over 62.7 grains of H4350 - WMLR primers. Looking at load data out of a 24 inch barrel I should be pushing around 2800 fps. Chrono data today on hand loads showed Avg of 9 shots at 2937 - ES of 18 (2929 min and 2947 max). Shot two groups at .75 MOA and one group under .4 MOA at 300 yds.

My question - I have no pressure signs, but is this load over pressure? It just seems unreasonable to get that velocity from this load. Ideas?

Edit - What I think I need is a quickload calc to see if I am over pressure. Anyone able to run that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, it does seem fast.

I checked it in QL and you are 100fps above predicted. Pressure would be at 56kpsi which is fine.

That said, a fast barrel in addition to being "fast" reduces pressure as there is less resistance to the bullet.

If you have no ejector marks and you like the accuracy, Stick with it.

Take the little gifts life can give.

Thank you for the calculation. I have no signs of pressure, and love the accuracy - think I can wring a bit more from it, but didn't want to create a problem.

I'll try playing more with seating depth and see if I can tighten up a little more.

what croney are you using.

I would find a buddy with a croney and verify your velocities

if you can't get another croney you can check your drops out to say 600 yrds and verify the velocity with a ballistic calculator.

you need accurate velocity if you are going to use a ballistic calculator.

sounds like you got you a good one!

Another point of reference on velocity would definitely help. I actually shot at the top of the targets and measured the vertical drop for the actual impact groups at 300 yrds. The drop point of the center of the groups averages 10.6 inches. This correlates very closely with the chrono velocity (actually makes the barrel about 10fps faster than the chrono registered). I think the difference was the chrono placement in front of the barrel a few feet. The bullet had only traveled a few feet, but might have slowed some from the muzzle by that point. I did not measure the distance from the muzzle to the chrono (is there a way to account for that in a ballistic calc?).

My major concern was just pressure. The velocity seems VERY high for what the load indicates. I am happy in all ways with this load, just wanting to be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.