300 WSM Load development with RL26

You sound proud and quite pleased with your results and rightly so. I was gifted a 1lb of RL 26 and plan on trying it out in my T3 in 300wsm. I own rifles made by Remington, Ruger, Savage, and T/C and my Tikka turned out to be most accurate and easy to load for rifle I own.

You really have peeked my interest and desire to make some reloads with RL26.

One question if you would please.
You listed as using 195 grain Sierra tipped match Kings in your reloads, am I correct to take your intending to use the 195 tipped SMK's for hunting? And if yes is the 195 tipped SMK suitable for use on deer and elk?

Thanks,
Art.

Last edited:
I haven't personally tested them but have done plenty of research and all signs point to they perform like a Berger which is a Match Bullet with a slightly thinner jacket, I am confident this wont be an issue as there are many out there that have successfully taken animals with Matchkings in the past, and if they dont kill I'm confident it wasn't the bullet's fault.
This load is going to be a hammer. I did a quick test on this load at distance at a similar elevation and temp out to 650 and 720 (i ran in to snow so I couldn't go to my 1000+ spot) and it shot almost full minute higher than the dope from my Kestrel gave me.

I've shot from a bench sitting in that same spot!

How is the temp stability of RL 26? We get quite the weather swings here

Another Panhandle guy huh?

I read a statement in accurateshooter from an Alliant Rep and they said .5 fps per degree but I have seen people getting far better results. I plan on doing some testing of my own here in the near future.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.