300 WSM case issue

Additional info.....we have shot this brass out of five different 300 WSM's.....tried adjusting as stated above with luck, only bad luck though as I got a case stuck in the die....ordered a competition die last night......now we shot through two rifles last weekend some factory brass.....tried to run the brass that came from the Christensen Arms 300 WSM and it will not cycle at all in my rem model 7 or my son's custom NW Action built gun.....this brass was not sized yet (due to stuck case) but was interested to see if it would cycle.....factory loads cycle great in all five......I have loaded a fair amount in the past and have made about every mistake possible but I am perplexed on this one.....ready to spend a butt load on factory HSM, which shots great out of all my 300 WSM's and call it quits for reloading this! thanks!

Ok, you have 5 different chambers of 5 different lengths to shoulder etc and wonder why there are issues?

IF you want to try and shoot the same brass in all five guns you are going to have to size ALL brass and bump shoulders to the smallest chamber. Brass life will not be good. You are going to have to start with virgin brass again in each gun, and fire 4-5 cases at least 3x and measure to find the smallest chamber at the base, shoulder and shortest at the shoulder. Adjust the one die set to compensate for both and go for it.

Otherwise couple choices.

1. Segregate all brass by gun. I have 3 WSMs now (down from 5) and do that.

2. Each gun has its own set of dies adjusted to that gun with shellholder in the die box. Shellholders will vary in height even though not supposed to. Multiple die sets and some minor cost, but simple fix that is 100% every time!

3. It is possible to load multiple guns with one set of dies using Otto die shims to go under the lock ring of the die adjusted to the shortest case at the shoulder and use the corresponding rings to raise the die up for the longer cases.

Bounty Hunter....Kind of thought that was going to be the issue.... I will use factory loads (HSM) for four of the rifles and my son's custom we will set up with reloads as he is using it for long distance shooting and will burn a few shells! what loads have you had good luck with? we have always used 168 grain Berger bullets.....thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.