.300 WM Win Laredo - Twist?

bullelk14

How would I go about finding out what twist a Win Laredo 300 WM has? I have been burning up Google and found one chat room that mentioned a 1:10 twist, but how would I be sure? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

How would I go about finding out what twist a Win Laredo 300 WM has? I have been burning up Google and found one chat room that mentioned a 1:10 twist, but how would I be sure? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You can actually figure it out for yourself. It is easy. Remove the bolt, put a patch on a jag and start it into the bore. Make sure that the jag is tightly screwed on the cleaning rod. Assuming that you are using a bore guide, I find it easier. Now, put a dot on the top of the rod, above the rear of the stock. Take note where you put the mark in reference to the rear of the stock. Push the cleaning rod into the bore until the dot comes back around to the top, and then stop. Now measure from your starting point, and that is your twist rate. Now, you have to be sure that the jag doesn't slip, or spin on the thread, as this will not give a accurate reading. I use white out to make the dot on top of the rod. As you push the rod through the bore, you can usually tell if it is slipping , or spinning . A good dry tight fitting patch works best. Try it , it works!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulb:) 7 STW

bull - i am sure it is a 10 twist. my son-in -law won the first 1000 yard match he ever shot in with my 7mm laredo. your 300 should do real well with all bullets up to 210 easily.

Thanks for the info guys, played with it a little and I am pretty confident it is 1:10 twist. Should I be good to go for 210 Bergers that recommend 1:11 twist? Or Roninflag, did you mean I would be good up to and including the 210's? Don't want to drop the $ on the 210's if they are known to not perform in a 1:10.

Thanks for the info guys, played with it a little and I am pretty confident it is 1:10 twist. Should I be good to go for 210 Bergers that recommend 1:11 twist? Or Roninflag, did you mean I would be good up to and including the 210's? Don't want to drop the $ on the 210's if they are known to not perform in a 1:10.

I would suggest you measure the length of the magazine in your Win 70 Laredo before attempting to use 210 Bergers. The SAAMI spec for cartridge OAL of the 300 Win mag cartridge is only 3.34" with a case length of 2.62" The ogive of a 210 Berger is 0.805". Some manufacturers like Remington and SAKO give their 300 Win Mags a 3.6" full length magnum magazine instead of the originally designed medium length magnum. I don't believe Winchester ever did in the Laredo.

There are relatively few factory rifle/cartridge combinations which will properly shoot heavy VLD bullets from a magazine by design or by chance. Practically no VLD bullets existed before the 1980s by which time most of the popular belted magnums and 308 or 30-06 derived cases already had SAAMI standards set. In the WSM, WSSM, RUM, and SAUM cartridges the existence of VLD bullets was simply ignored by the factory cartridge/rifle developers at both Winchester and Remington. The primary market was medium range hunting. Mostly by accident the Rem 700 long actions would shoot some of the older mid length cartridges with low drag bullets. In practice to shoot VLD bullets properly a custom or semi-custom rifle with at least an extended magazine and custom throat is very desirable. Even a 3.6" magazine is short for shooting 210 Bergers in a 300 Win mag with ideal seating depth.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info LB, I just loaded up some with Hornady 180 BTSP and can only get 3.400 to fit into the magazine, infact 3.390 is really needed to pull the next round freely and consistently from the magazine. Guess the magazine limits my options....Thanks
Can always load single rounds I guess.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.