300 WM throat reamer depth

West Calamus

I am building a 300 wm around a 208 eld match bullet. The barrel I just got in is a # 6 Shilen 1-10 twist. Maximum COL for magazine is 3.530. The barrel goes to smith in a couple of weeks where he will cut the chamber and throat. The question is am I goofing up by having the smith cut leade for .020 jump at max. COL? What if I find out later it shoots best at .010 off the lands? Anyone with constructive input or experience loading 208-Match and amount of jump there rifle prefers would be greatly appreciated. May you all have a prosperous New Year.

you need to look at several things
mag length and the ability to adjust coal to tune the load
what if you have to change bullets ?
is this a hunting gun ?

IS the base of the bullet at or below the neck/shoulder junction of the case ?
can I stay mag length and keep the bullet base(not boat tail) above this jumction ?

IS the base of the bullet at or below the neck/shoulder junction of the case ?
can I stay mag length and keep the bullet base(not boat tail) above this jumction ?
The short answer is .160 of the barrel of the bullet extends below neck/ shoulder junction.

you need to look at several things
mag length and the ability to adjust coal to tune the load
what if you have to change bullets ?
is this a hunting gun ?
This will be a hunting rifle. Expectations is staying inside 8 inch plate at 800 yards.

not a hunter, I will bow out.
base of bullet below the junction is always an issue in reloading
a dedicated reamer is a good idea, but not required
make up a empty round that allows some lengthening in the mag, that will allow some tuning. have him ream to your round.

Last edited:
I am building a 300 wm around a 208 eld match bullet. The barrel I just got in is a # 6 Shilen 1-10 twist. Maximum COL for magazine is 3.530. The barrel goes to smith in a couple of weeks where he will cut the chamber and throat. The question is am I goofing up by having the smith cut leade for .020 jump at max. COL? What if I find out later it shoots best at .010 off the lands? Anyone with constructive input or experience loading 208-Match and amount of jump there rifle prefers would be greatly appreciated. May you all have a prosperous New Year.
Just to clarify. The powder I will start with is IMR 4831 loaded to 67.2 gr. Nosler load data shows this as the most accurate charge for this powder and load density(volume) will be 92 %. Not really worried about having a compressed load if bullet barrel is .160 below neck/shoulder junction.

that bullet will fit in a saami chamber.. if seated to mag length .. its pointier right ?? .. which would mean the first contact point of ogive is farther back than compared to a standard spitzer

any throat length you add to a saami chmaber will only increase your jump .. if i am not mistaken you can chamber and add length to throat and still call it a 300wm but it .. but i dont think anyone would stamp it 300wm, with a shorter than saami throat ..

im just recommending . do a little digging and researching before you cut

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.