300 Win Ultra mag!! Amazing!

Hookturnr

300rumwinmag.jpg

Saw this on another forum...Apparently someone bought a new rifle and ammunition, took it to the range and fired TEN rounds! After this he went online and asked " after firing my new rifle at the range today, I noticed some minor expansion of the fired cases when compared to the unfired ones. Is this acceptable?"

It is a strange world we live in.....

Some people dont like a belted case but in this case it very well saved his life by head spacing
the round enough to keep it within limits.

Head space issues are one of the main causes of rifles blowing up.

This was a very lucky individual and should serve as a lesson to all of us that ammo should be
checked before being placed in any firearm.

Stay safe !!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

The scary part is this kind of thing happens more often than any of us would believe.

When I was in high school I hunted on a ranch that was owned by some friends of my family. The owners son and I hunted together alot. His dad had a very nice 300Wby that he always used. One day we were driving out to a rimrock to do some glassing and I noticed a box of 300Win mag shells on the seat. I asked him what he was doing with a box of 300Win. mag shells when his dad's gun was a 300Wby. I was rather surprised when he told me that's what he uses in his dad's MkV. I was even more surprised when he told me he knew they weren't the right shells but the 300win mag stuff was cheaper so he bought them instead. I thought he was just messing with me until I opened the box and saw all the fired cases. They weren't quite as crazy looking as the one in this thread but they sure were goofy looking. They were now nicely formed 300Wby cases just with a really short neck.

That was the last time we ever hunted together. I thought if this moron can knowingly make bad as well as unsafe decisions like this he wasn't someone I was interested in hungting with.

I knew an old guy that shot 44-40 pistol shells in his single shot .410 shotgun for deer hunting. Said it worked just like a slug. All I can say about all these guys is: Darwin Award Candidates.

I think his chamber is just a .300 Gibbs. Definitely maximizes the powder capacity of the .300 Win Mag case.:cool:

Through the course of the thread he found that it was indeed a 300 RUM. It apparently shot an 8" group at 200 yards in those first 10 rounds and he was quite pleased with that accuracy just concerned about the "minor expansion" he was seeing in the fired cases......

On a side note, ran into a fella at the range last fall that was having trouble getting the clip loaded on his brand new tikka 25/06...I asked to see a round as i had some of my handloads that were at about max. typical mag length and I saw no issues with his factory rounds...at this point I asked to see his rifle......it was chambered in 7mm/08...........I wish i was making this up, at least he didn't have a combination that would chamber!

I remember a thread similar to that. Turned out "The guy at the gun store sold him the rifle and the ammo" might be the same thread.

I had a bone head move one time shooting with some buddies on their land. Someone set the box of .40 on top of my box of 9mm same brand and everything. They went into the mag just fine but wouldn't chamber. lightbulb

Sister in law later that day said she was having issue with a 1911 jamming. I took the gun and racked the slide only to have 2 9mm rounds pop out of the mag.

This is why I shoot one caliber at a time and keep all other ammo in my ammo can till im using it. Nothing ever hurt but pride but that can change in a heart beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.