300 win short COAL

sodwyer

Hey Guys trying to decide what bullet to use in my 300 win. the mag is quite short and I need a bullet that is less sensitive to COAL. the 190 berger vld was .155 of lands = 8" groups at 600 yards I purchaced some 200 accubonds hopeing to improve my group. anyone have expernce with the 200AB and a big jump?

The Accubond has a different O-give. Tangent vs. secant, Not anywhere NEAR as sensitave to seating depth. All the accubonds I load like about .015 off the lands.

Hornady makes a 190 gr BTSP, if you wanted to stick with the same or simmilar wt., But Im a HUGE fan of Nosler bullets, especially the Accubond, and having read your post on your Elk, Id stay with the Accubond over the Hornady if it were me.
Congrats by the way.........

Thanks for the good info Iwill try the AB's in both 200 and 180 however I am a long way from .015 the AB's are .143 off the lands in my rifle.

I shoot a mark 5 in 300win I have a hunch that wetherby is cutting lots of freebore into there standard calibers as well as weatherby calibers . also the mag seems to be short so I contacted weatherby and they told me that is the stangard magiazine length for all there magnum calibers. 3.492 is the max I can go so the cartrige will fit in the mag. How does that lenght comare with outher 300 winnies please help

I shoot the 200 gr ABs seated .155 off the lands, they go .5 to .75 out of a factory Savage 112. They just don't seem to mind the jump. I have to seat at 3.435 to fit the magazine, measured with a comparator, not base to tip.

Chris

Last edited:
well its nice to see I am not the only one struggleing with a short magzine. winmagman sounds like we are working with simular dimentions and your results sound pretty good. have you checked your group size at a longer range? what powder/load are you useing?

I'm loading 71 grs of Re22 in Win brass with Fed 215 primers. Velocity is around 2940 fps.

The farthest I regularly shot the 300wm was out to 500 yds, groups were 3-5 inches. This was the rifle I first started shooting long range with, and my skills were rather lacking, not that they're great now but better than they were then.

I have since put together a few semi custom rigs and sadly the 300 rarely sees daylight any more, should probably do something about that.:D

Chris

The caliber that most commonly has a jump to the lands in order to fit the mag is the 300 win mag IME. The 300 win mag is longer than the other similar calibers such as the 338 win mag, 7 mag and 264 win mag and a lot of them come with detachable magazines. Sadly a long jump to the lands often translates into a slower velocity.

There are several bullets that will let you get closer to the lands but you probably won't like them if you are into Bergers or Accubonds. Some of them are:

Swift A-Frames
Partition Protected Points
TSX's - the heavier ones and not the TTSX
Northforks
TBBC

you get the idea, all excellent performers on game and can be quite accurate but with low ballistic coefficients.

Don't know if you can get a Wyatt's extended mag box but that will alleviate your problem.

I picked up a 375 h&h magizine for my Browning 300 Win Mag Abolt just for this reason. To expand powder capacity and to get closer to the lands. Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.